Intake manifold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intake manifold

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
jeeptastic1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Intake manifold

So after a lot of diagnosing I found out I needed a new intake/exhaust manifold gasket. It was leaking. So I pulled the gasket and the intake manifold to clean it and their were chunks missing out of it. So I now need a new one. Does anyone know of anywhere that I can get one? The only place I found was eBay, and I'm not trusting a 65$ used manifold.

jeeptastic1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I couldn't find a new one for my 4.2 anywhere except Summit and that one was meant for a 4 barrel carb, made by Clifford I think. Otherwise the local Dodge dealer said they could order one and it would be about 2-3 weeks and was something like $600. Nevertheless I ended up going down to J&W Jeeps in Antelope CA and picking up a used one for $65. It's worked fine so far, but I'm getting some vacuum issues at start up and plan on pulling mine to change the gasket hoping it isn't broken too.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
04WJny

1987 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.quadratec.com/products/27601_01_07.htm this ones $174. check craigslist or junkyards too so that your able to look at it in person
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
jeeptastic1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I couldn't find a new one for my 4.2 anywhere except Summit and that one was meant for a 4 barrel carb, made by Clifford I think. Otherwise the local Dodge dealer said they could order one and it would be about 2-3 weeks and was something like $600. Nevertheless I ended up going down to J&W Jeeps in Antelope CA and picking up a used one for $65. It's worked fine so far, but I'm getting some vacuum issues at start up and plan on pulling mine to change the gasket hoping it isn't broken too.
thanks a bunch ive also looked for weber manifolds i could have sworn ive seen them, but im unable to find them, and im also not crazy enough to pay 600 bucks, so it looks like a junkyard is my best bet. ill be looking around the northern colorado area as well if you know of anything out this way or if anyone else does that would be great
Unread 01-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can get an offy dual plane from summit and get an adpater. I have one, but run a holley 470 TA 4 barrel. I was a nice performance bump. On an otherwise stock 4.0 with no hipo can you can run a holley 390 4 barrel. I would be a huge improvement over the stock junk cater that came on the 4.2.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
jeeptastic1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
You can get an offy dual plane from summit and get an adpater. I have one, but run a holley 470 TA 4 barrel. I was a nice performance bump. On an otherwise stock 4.0 with no hipo can you can run a holley 390 4 barrel. I would be a huge improvement over the stock junk cater that came on the 4.2.
im already running a weber 32/36 carb, and i have a built engine with extensive machine work so a performance manifold would already be a huge gain, especially since id have to run both a header and aftermarket intake, looks like clifford has a nice one for 400 bucks, and a pacesetter dual ooutlet header is the cheapest header i could find online. so if i went all new im looking at around 750 bucks. im running to colorado springs with a friend who loves there in a few days to search shops n yards there, its my best bet at finding a good used one. otherwise, im spending insane money
Unread 01-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would have no problem using a Ebay intake manifold. Just look at the sellers rating, if it is 100% or very close a seller would bend over backwards to keep it there. Just look at the pics they should tell you all you need to know.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04WJny View Post
http://www.quadratec.com/products/27601_01_07.htm this ones $174. check craigslist or junkyards too so that your able to look at it in person
That's an exhaust manifold, plenty of those out there. Not so much on the intakes.
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
jeeptastic1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker
I would have no problem using a Ebay intake manifold. Just look at the sellers rating, if it is 100% or very close a seller would bend over backwards to keep it there. Just look at the pics they should tell you all you need to know.

Dwayne
Yeah but still I mean it's sketchy they look like their in worse shape than mine they're all rusty and pitted and **** so I don't like that
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You might give J&W a call sometimes they're really proud of what they've got, but they do ship nationwide and their parts are coming from non-rust CA jeeps.
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I went with the offy cause it was a dual plane, where as clifford was single plane. The single plane likes the high rpm ranges, the dual plane likes the low to mid range. Yeah, I installed the holley 470 4 barrel, offy intake, comp cam, rollor rockers, ported head, pacesetter header, hipo pistons, DUI and MSD. So I know whats it's like to dump money into the engine. It now runs like a small V-8 with the lowend torque of an I-6, it was worth every penny. The wife doesn't see it that way ha ha.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
jeeptastic1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell
Yeah, I went with the offy cause it was a dual plane, where as clifford was single plane. The single plane likes the high rpm ranges, the dual plane likes the low to mid range. Yeah, I installed the holley 470 4 barrel, offy intake, comp cam, rollor rockers, ported head, pacesetter header, hipo pistons, DUI and MSD. So I know whats it's like to dump money into the engine. It now runs like a small V-8 with the lowend torque of an I-6, it was worth every penny. The wife doesn't see it that way ha ha.
Would the offy work with my weber 32/36? How much did you pay for it too I'm trying to find all my options
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
jeeptastic1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Plus I'm living at 7300 feet in elevation so a four barrel is too much fuel I've had to rejet my carb a few times and it's only like 325 cfm or so. It would take a lot of work to get a bigger carb to run right. I looked it up is there any way to get or make an adapter to use a two barrel with that? I'd imagine I could fab something for it.
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
jeeptastic1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell
Just got a used manifold from a jeep yard had it in a hot tank for about 45 minutes it's all clean now going to go install it I'll post how it works
Unread 01-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
jeeptastic1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just got my new manifold installed I have to re jet and adjust my weber but it's firing in all cylinders and running much much better thanks everyone for the advice

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.