intake on an 89 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > intake on an 89 YJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-03-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
flashJP

intake on an 89 YJ

ive got an '89 yj and want to put in a metal pipe and cone filter,k&n or knock-off..doesnt matter to me...my question is....under the air filter box assembly there is another hose coming out goin towards the center of the engine...what is that? can i just take it out? basically i just want to pull all that out...and put in a straight pipe with a cone filter...what if any little hoses do i have to worry about?????
thanks a lot, i really appreciate anything u can tell me

89 4cyl fuel injected

15x7 OutLaw II
NEW: distributor cap,rotor,spark plugs,wires,fuel filter,ccv&pcv, steelhorse console...
flashJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2002, 03:08 PM   #2
Bigrubberjeep

Hey nice ride! Exacly like mine. he he
Your idea is good, hoever i do recomend very strongly that you atach the 2 little hoses to the new tube you are thinking of using. Just drill 2 holes in it the size of the tubing and then cylicone them so they are air tight because after all they are leading to the engine and if you get debris intheir it could mess it upin the long or maybe short run. What I did was just buy a cone filter from autozone, I pulled the air tube from the stock airbox and hooked it up to the new cone. This way your little hoses canstill suck in air from their factory box. Just tape off or cover somehow the hole left by the air tube (the top of the air box) soyou dont get debris in their either, i just used tape and covered mine. Now your wondering well ware the heck do I place the cone? well being that the factory hose is flexible I just tucked it under the long support bar and it is pointing to the left sitting on top of the fenderwell. Check out my website under What's new. You will see a very bad picture of what I mean. Oh yeah, and yes I did notice and improvement
Unread 04-03-2002, 07:38 PM   #3
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Or do what Atropine did and what I plan to do. Get a honda civic intake kit (because they are usually in stock at most parts stores) and use that. They are ALOT cheaper than Jeep ones and are basically the same thing with minor modification on the rubber connection to the TB.

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2002, 09:26 PM   #4
flashJP

thanks for the input, i think im gonna look into that...
15x7 OutLaw II
NEW: distributor cap,rotor,spark plugs,wires,fuel filter,ccv&pcv, steelhorse console...
Unread 04-04-2002, 02:46 PM   #5
flashJP

how do i attach it to the throttle body openeing? what size is it?
15x7 OutLaw II
Unread 04-04-2002, 03:05 PM   #6
Bigrubberjeep

Check out this guys mod on the intake. It's in his web page

<a href="http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/mods.htm" target="_blank">http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/mods.htm</a>

Similar to mine except I left the factory air box on.
Unread 04-05-2002, 10:05 AM   #7
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Go to a hardware store and try to find the right rubber connection. Probably in the plumbing area

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2002, 01:53 PM   #8
NOVA Jeeper56

I have one of a eclipse and you must connect both the rubber hosses. One is for the crank case to suck out pressure b/c its not a valve. The second is your evaporation canestor.
NOVA Jeeper56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.