Instrument Panel Lighting & Trailer Electrical... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Instrument Panel Lighting & Trailer Electrical...

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
JohnChrist

Instrument Panel Lighting & Trailer Electrical...

Hello, i own an 87 wrangler 6 Cylinder, My instrument panel lighting has not worked since i got it, i have checked the fuses underneath the dash & replaced the bulbs for the tach & speedometer & still nothing. Man it sucks not knowing how fast you are going at night! Any ideas?

Also, i need to hook up a trailer to my jeep, i need to get the hitch kit & the wiring kit, how difficult is it to install the wiring kit? Was hoping for some experienced jeepers who have installed one before, thanks in advance!

John

JohnChrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check to see if there is 12 volts going to the lights when the switch is on. It's a good possiblity the switch is bad. Beyond that, it's a matter of tracing the voltage out of the fuse block to see where it stops. The small gauges may just have a bad connection where the wiring harness plugs into the back of the instrument panel. I'm not sure if the speedo and tach go into that or are on a separate wire.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
koeingsyj

The trailer wiring should be really easy. Havnt done the jeep yet but put one on my van. All you do is splice into the tail lights, brake , and turn signal. very simple, should take you 30 to 45 min at the most. hardest part is finding the right wires and thats not even that hard. take one of your rear tail lights off completly and pull it out, it will have 4 wires or so comming out the back. you can splice into that. to get the other turn signal you might have to splice into one wire on the oposite tail light.
koeingsyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #4
packerz4

I just got a wiring harness from Advanced Auto. $17, and 15 minutes to install. They had to order it though. Took a day to get it in. It just plugs into the clips under the cover from behind the rear tires. Super easy, and works great.
packerz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
cmasfca

I've been meaning to do this as well, thanks for the info! now to get off my duff and finish the project
cmasfca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI John,
Based on what you have said and what you have put up with I don't think you have the skills and knowledge to safely install anything electrical. You should have the work done professionally. This is for your own good.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #7
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI John,
Based on what you have said and what you have put up with I don't think you have the skills and knowledge to safely install anything electrical. You should have the work done professionally. This is for your own good.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
bobbert350

check the wiring for it..and also there is a dimmer switch it looks like a wheel make sure that is turned up all the way but not to it clicks cauz that turns on the inside lights...the dimmer switch is right next to the headlight switch well it is on my car
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.