Installing used AX5 Transmission in '95 YJ, any tips? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing used AX5 Transmission in '95 YJ, any tips?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Installing used AX5 Transmission in '95 YJ, any tips?

I'm laid off so money is tight. I don't want to put anymore money in my 95 Jeep than I have to right now, but my trans has been grinding from 3-4 gear for a couple of months now. I've been waiting for a good deal on a used transmission to come along and today it did. I just picked up a used 1995 AX5 trans with a 231 transfer case attached. Identical to what is in my Jeep now. The plan is to swap out the trans and sell the transfer case to recoup the cost.

The guy I bought the trans from just swapped out his 2.5 for a 4.0 which is why he sold it. Claims that the clutch was good, and the trans shifted fine when he pulled it. He said he always used Royal Purple. The clutch in my YJ right now is pretty good too and I recently put in a new slave cylinder. I'm going to reuse my newer slave cylinder and if I can I would like to reuse one of the clutches. I'm not sure which one yet.

I know that this is the time to replace the clutch, but like I said money is tight. If I can get by with what I have that would be great. Any suggestions of what to look out for? Other than light rust from moisture since it was pulled, does anything look wrong with the clutch?

tsalmeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I know the feeling bro... Money is tight here too.

Here's my 2 cents. It looks like you will be fine by reusing the clutch plate. When I make these decisions though I always think about my time and how long it would take me to replace whatever I'm reusing versus the cost. Remember to factor in the tow because they never seem to break in your driveway. If you are comfortable with that then reuse the clutch plate and skip a flywheel resurface.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14767780]It goes in that barrel you wheel out to the street once a week.[/QUOTE]

My build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/new-build-thread-867043/[/url]
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In my opinion, the clutch plate is marginal and the pressure plate is toast - the surface looks corroded and most machine shops won't resurface it. If the flywheel has rust, have it checked out by a machine shop to see if it can still be resurfaced and get that done. Check on the condition of the throw-out bearing.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sand the pressure plate by hand with the finest sandpaper you can get away with using, and same for the flywheel surface. Try to determine any throughout bearing you are using is still good. When money is tight like that, you have to do what you have to do to make it work.
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I may roll some coins and buy a new clutch and re-use everything else that is already on my Jeep now.
tsalmeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Or, just keep running your grinding transmission until you can scrach up enough coin to get the new clutch and all. Once you're in, minus well do it.

Grinding between gears isn't that bad. Heck, I have been without 5th for a decade. Maybe I'll fix it this fall...sure.

Good luck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.