Installing SYE - How much axle shim to use? (4" lift) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing SYE - How much axle shim to use? (4" lift)

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Mark_ZZ3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Installing SYE - How much axle shim to use? (4" lift)

So just trying to sort out if I can shim my axle or if I need to re-weld the perches in the right spot.

I have a 93 YJ with 3.5" BDS springs. Running "fronts" on both front and back. Xfer case in stock location. Standard SYE. 1" MML. Stock shackles in back, but 1" longer in front.

I'll end up just installing the SYE and seeing what my angles are, but I was curious was others found out. It would be great if I could get away with a shim and no welding.

Mark.

Mark_ZZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

if anything throw on longer shackles in the back as well, and then see how much you need to shim
jeep795 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
flysyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the proper angle on an sye..is the pinion yoke..pointing almost straight at the t-case yoke, a few degrees low is prefered, becuse of wrap at acceleration..i have an re-4" with an advance adaptors sye-(not the super short type) i kept in my 6* shim and the t-case/skid plate 1" drop in, to get the proper angle-no vibes~fly
flysyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
wranglerswrock
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i have a 3.5 black diamond, and although i figured a major benefit to the sye was gonna be the tummy tuck, i had to do what the guy above said exactly. 6* shims with a transfer case drop got it to where it needed to be. I am puttin on a 1" body lift, and 1" mml... i am hoping that will bring it closer, so i can at least have less of a transfer case drop, or in a perfect world, none at all =)

hope this helps too

and btw, every jeep is different... like, for real. so dont be surprised if you are just good to go striaght up liek you are, or if you have to reweld the perches. its a 50/50 shot
=)
wranglerswrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Mark_ZZ3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well geez ... I did not think about leaving the transfer case drop in. It's only a 1" ... maybe that is the interium solution?

The real catch is I have a D44 in the works and don't want to spend a ton of cash on the D35, but the vibrations are bad with my new springs. So I figured the SYE would need to go in.

Hmm ... this does offer some new ideas ...

Mark.
Unread 09-11-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

8 shims did it for me for 4" springs and 1" shackles with no T-case drop.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Like sentinal said. I have 3.5"s of lift and run 1 inch shackle. 8° shims worked perfect for me. Best way to do it is to go out and buy a cheap angle finder for about 10 bucks, measure the pinion angle, then measure the driveshaft angle. They should be identical, assuming you have a cv shaft, and are still running the dana35. If you are running an axle with any sort of offset, different degrees are necessary.
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!
bamato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
yjbubba
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I put an RE 4.5 lift and AA SYE on my 89 and without dropping the skid plate I needed 12* of shim, I opted to fab up new perches and weld them on.
yjbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
Mark_ZZ3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjbubba
I put an RE 4.5 lift and AA SYE on my 89 and without dropping the skid plate I needed 12* of shim, I opted to fab up new perches and weld them on.
That is sort of where I was thinking it was going to be. I'm going to have to just install the SYE and measure it up. No other way to do it ... just add some time to the project.

Great responses. Many thanks.
Mark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.