Installing Shackles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing Shackles?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 07-31-2002, 01:25 PM   #1
spgsig

Installing Shackles?

I'm installing 2in lift shackles this weekend and was wondering if there is any tricks or procedures I should follow to make the job go a little easier?

Borla Header and high flow exhaust
more to come....
spgsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 01:32 PM   #2
spgsig

BTW

I also got new poly bushings.
Borla Header and high flow exhaust
more to come....
spgsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 01:59 PM   #3
soccer_Steven

I just put 1 1/4 shackles on my yj. I found that the front is easy if you have 2 people, a stand jack and a normal jack. I had to wedge the stock jack between the leafs and the upper part (lower part of body). This made the front easy. But the back is a whole-nother story. I had a problem with the gas tank. I had tol bang, break, then finally cut the old bolts off. After I got the old bolts off it was pretty much straight forward. If you need any other info just PM me.
soccer_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 03:14 PM   #4
moabster
2011 WK 

When replacing the shackles on our 93 YJ I found that after removing the nut and bolt you need to remove the metal bushing in the middle of the rubber bushings before you try to remove the rubber bushings. I used a punch and hammer to remove the metal bushing.
On the rear, I could not remove the bolt (gas tank in the way) until the rubber bushing was removed. To do this I first removed the spring end of the shackle. Then I removed the nut from the top of the shackle and the outside half of the shackle. Then I used a punch to push the bolt through far enough so that I could also push the metal bushing through. Next I removed the outside half of the rubber bushing with a pair of pliers. Then used the punch to force out the gas tank half of the rubber bushing. With the bushing out there was enough room to wiggle the bolt free without cutting it.

Overall, this was a pretty easy job.
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.