INstalling the RE 4" kit tomorrow.. any tips? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > INstalling the RE 4" kit tomorrow.. any tips?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 07-11-2005, 09:52 PM   #1
ohhpe

INstalling the RE 4" kit tomorrow.. any tips?

Installing the RE 4" kit on my 95 yj tomorrow. ANyone got any pointers? Ive been using pb blaster like crazy.. have a grinder, compressor, impact gun etc
hopefully we dont break any bolts and it shouldnt take tooo long...

2005 WK Limited 5.7L Hemi. 2" day star lift awaiting tires and wheels for installation.
ohhpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
wolf3902

Patience!!!! Take your time and enjoy it. Getting rushed is the worst thing you can do installing a lift. The worst part for me were the main eye spring bolts to the frame. The nuts came off but the bolts didn't want to budge.
I used a 3-5 lb. short handled sledge hammer(BFH) to beat them out. Turning, pounding, cussing. Took about 45 minutes each, for those four bolts. I was by myself. The method that worked the best was as follows.
Pound on bolt. .... feel frustration mounting..
step back drink BEER frustration gone
Repeat until bolts are out.
Good Luck, take your time, have fun!!!
Soon you'll be ridin high!!!

ONE NATION, UNDER G O D
Support It, or Leave It!
wolf3902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

what he said I had the exact same issue took me approx three hrs to get the 4 bolts
out. much if that was step back rest and curse time and watch my 18yr old son pound on them bolts-We only had a carpenter hammer. Right after that bought a BFH and would have had them out in much less time. You do you learn
ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 07:01 AM   #4
ohhpe

couldnt u just cut the bolts?
i bought all the grade 8 bolts i need to replace em..

2005 WK Limited 5.7L Hemi. 2" day star lift awaiting tires and wheels for installation.
Unread 07-12-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
fastone110
1988 YJ Wrangler 

pitman arm puller is a most for the arm... with the 4" ull want to replace it... grind the u bolts off... a punch is nice to push bolts back out of holes.. jack stands... the more u can get the better.. floor jack... sockets.... a 45 and 50 torx bit... thats all i can think of right now.. keep us posted
'88 yj wrangler 2.5L /w 3.5 black diamond suspension lift, 2" body lift, 1 1/4" shackles, detroit gearless front locker, lockright in rear, posi-lok, traction bars off, no sway, 35x12.50x15 baja claws on homemade beadlocks, 4.10 gears protected by homemade diff covers, TFI, herculined, 8000lb winch, GenRight Bumbers, BrownDog 1''MML, JB SYE, flowmaster, custom YJ dash, kicker 4" front speakers, sony explode cd player, rocker panel guards, custom SS red brake lines.
fastone110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
wolf3902

yes, I could have cut the bolts. I hadn't bought any new ones cause I thought after PB Blaster for a week they would come out easy. I could have cut between the mount and the spring on both sides of the bolt, but I think that would have taken just as long. Not sure, whatever works. Good Luck.

ONE NATION, UNDER G O D
Support It, or Leave It!
wolf3902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #7
ohhpe

no pitman arm drop required.. atleast not in the kit.. well find out if i really need one..
the only thing im missin is a spring plate thats good.. mine has the sway bar link mount broken off but i guess ill have to use that for now..

Unread 07-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #8
migliori

The three things that helped me out most was a really good air impact wrench, the biggest you can find (it saved me hours of twisting on rusted bolts) and a die grinder with a cutting wheel or something to cut the rusted shackle bolts. All my shackle bolts had the little metal sleave rust/welded on. I couldnt slide them out of the shackles to save my life. Had to cut them off. Also, a big hammer to pound off all of the pressed fittings on the steering equipment (sway siscos and front track bar).

On my kit, I paid extra and got a dropped pitman arm. I think it helped out a lot. After I pounded it off, you could tell the steering needed the extra distance given by the longer pitman. The ten bucks spent on the pitman arm tool was well worth the investment too.

Good luck, if it takes all weekend don't feel bad. It takes most people a lot longer unless they have really good tools.
Custom Gun Rack
Custom Rocker panels

-We're not all there
because we're not all here.
migliori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

Congrats on finally picking a lift

What size tires are you planning on running?
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
kyjeepr

Cut the bolts

Just cut the old bolts off. The first lift I did we tried to get the bolts out of the spring hanger, and ended up cutting them. Got new ones at Lowes. They don't cost that much. The second lift I put on I just cut the bolts on the spring hangers and even the ubolts. You're supposed to use new ubolts anyway.

After I put a 4" lift on mine I drove mine without a drop pitman arm for a couple weeks. You could tell there was some more bump steer. I ended up putting a DPA on, and it made a big difference. You can get one for $50. Taking the old one off was a pain. Used PB blaster. A little heat. I broke two pullers. Finally I got out the cutting wheel again, and cut a big X across the front of the arm. That let it expand enough for the 3rd puller to take it right off.

Do you still have your track bars on? Those where a pain to get off too. I took those off before I even lifted my jeep. Ended up cutting the rear one off, and had to cut the bolts to get the front one off. Torx head bolts suck.

A $30 cutting wheel and air tools will make the install go much quicker.

Good luck.
kyjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #11
YJinSD

If they are the bolts I'm thinking of if you have it remove the nut and put your impact gun on the bolt and it will spin free, took seconds and they came right out. My impact gun was one of those harbor freight specails and I think it was about $20 and if you catch the sale you can get sockets for between $10 to $15. Good luck.
YJinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 10:14 AM   #12
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhpe
couldnt u just cut the bolts?
i bought all the grade 8 bolts i need to replace em..

We did cut the bolts off the main eyes were frozen in the holes.
had to beat them out using a hammer and a 3/8 ratchet extension that fit into the hole.

Will never have to do that again as I repalced them with greaseable main eye bolts
ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #13
teqmod

Hope the lift project is going well. Would you be willing to come off a couple stock springs when you are done?? I am tring to go SOA and only have 2 of the springs.

Let me know.

91/93 YJ's merged 4.0L ax-15 8.8 w/Detroit TB spacer SOA SuperShortSYE
01 Cherokee stock
03 Yamaha R1 "Couldn't catch it if you tried"

teqmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 08:34 PM   #14
admar2

two words.

AIR TOOLS.

we are starting my buddy's 6inch long arm lift on his TJ this weekend and in a couple of weeks we'll be doing my 3.5inch BDS lift. (along with swapping in a D30 and a D35 with 4.10's)

thank god he has air tools, and a cutting torch, and a welding setup. and a wicked huge garage to do all the work in.
admar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2005, 11:18 PM   #15
ohhpe

hey alright we got the front end sittin back on the tires... that thing is huuuuuuuge
it also has a 2" bl so its sittin ona 6inch lift.
i have a lot of questions on certain t hings about if i was doing it right or not..

for the springs, to get the centerbolts lined up on the spring plate wasnt bad but the one on the perch itself was hard and we had to tighten the heck out of the u bolts to get them flush with the axle..sound right?

i got the front track bar bolt (closest to the axle) off no problem.. but then when i turned the steering wheel its all not aligned anymore??

the front shackles are facing backwards.. not straight up and down.. is that right???

and the tie rod/ bar that connect to the pitman arm is at an extreme angle.. is this binding or doing any harm...?

i dont have the shocks on yet, its just sittin on springs.

we cut some bolts but i used soo much pb blaster most of them came out clean..
man im beat im goin to bed... ha

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.