Installing Old Man EMU 2.5" Lift kit, have questions.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing Old Man EMU 2.5" Lift kit, have questions..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
GJeepFan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Installing Old Man EMU 2.5" Lift kit, have questions..

I posted these questions in my original thread on this subject, however, it’s so far moved down now, no one would ever see it, but please reference the prior thread for the pictures I attached last night.
I have the following questions in regards to installation of this kit.

1) The EMU busing kits only came with one metal sleeve, apparently for the frame end of the springs. What do I do with the shackle ends? Press the old ones out of the rubber bushings? Use none at all? (that would not seem to work?)
2) As you can see in my pics, the bolts for the rear shackles do not come out, they strike the fuel tank, do they have to be cut out? Also, how do you get the rear frame bushings in and out? I can barely fit my hand up in there!
3) I will be purchasing a cut off wheel for my angle grinder and some good saws all blades to cut other bolts, torching made a lot of smoke/fire and was just nasty.
4) Am I missing something in my kit? Does the EMU kit (as expensive as it was) NOT come with new metal sleeves for the shakle bushings and NO spring hardware?
5) The Rancho U bolt kits I purchased came with tapered metal shims, the thick part of which is to point toward the front of the jeep, I assume to correct the pinion angle after the lift is installed? I am hoping utilizing the shims would allow me to NOT use the T-case drop kit supplied in the EMU kit?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

GJeepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Re-use the sleeves for question one.
You find cutting them will be easiest. The upper rear bushing can be a pita to get out with the tank in the way.
Question 4, the bushing kits are complete in the bags, that is what they supply. As far as spring hardware, I guess you mean shackle bolts, shackles, etc. That is a different purchase.
Question 5, the rear springs should already be shimmed, and you do not need to shim the front springs, but some have done it, as some put 36/37 shimmed springs on the front. Makes little difference there. But, primarily, the rear springs should already be shimmed, and you should not need to use the shim part from that kit if I am understanding you correctly.
Unread 05-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

shackle ends dont use metal sleeves, greasable bolts and rubber bushings. I used OME greasable shackles so it came iwth everything, reuse what you have I guess

mine were oppsiite I guess, the ends were on the outside of my springs in the rear, this was not an issues... but I did end up dutting and burning them out as they woud not budge.

for 4 refer to answer 1..

5 the springs should have shims on them as well, dont use hte ones with the ubolts... I dont use any actually, but my app is different so you may or may not have to... lok at the old ones... did they have shims?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As far as the shackles, I used Currie Boomerangs all the way around with the EMU bushings on the Currie shackle hardware. I would not be the best reference for retaining the stock shackles personally. But I did look at the other thread you posted images in. Looks good. You are getting there, making good progress.
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
GJeepFan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Guys.

I do not believe the old ones have shims. The shims are for the rear axle only. I will have to check my 36 springs to see if they have shims on them, since they are for the rear axle.
maybe before I go any further I should purchase the OME shackels with greasable bolts and be done with it? It would seem to be a HUGE PITA to try to press the sleeves out of the old springs and re-use those.
Should I just pony up for some Booms that give a 5/8" lift or would this not allow me to retain my track bars and front sway bar (I want to keep them). I may consider ditching the front and rear track bars and retaining the front sway bar and just installing the Skyjacker 2.5-6" discos for the sway bar. I don't want to spend the $$$ really, but I do want this to be done right with no binding of the suspension or limitations on the amount of lift I should realize with this kit.

YOu all are great, sorry for so many questions!

Moonshine, what type of currie booms did you purachse? I'm not looking for much if any lift out of them, but it seems counter productive to utilize the stock stuff and wast time on that junk. I want to do this right the first time. I have heard that 5/8" of total shackle lift will not cause any issues? Did you get them from Quadratec?

I may try to install the Rancho U-bolt shims on my rear axle, which should cant the axle upwards enough that I don't have to use the T-case drop shims supplied by EMU, I might experiment with that since I am fortunate to have a lift in my shop.

-Greg
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJeepFan View Post
Thanks Guys.

I do not believe the old ones have shims. The shims are for the rear axle only. I will have to check my 36 springs to see if they have shims on them, since they are for the rear axle.
maybe before I go any further I should purchase the OME shackels with greasable bolts and be done with it? It would seem to be a HUGE PITA to try to press the sleeves out of the old springs and re-use those.
Should I just pony up for some Booms that give a 5/8" lift or would this not allow me to retain my track bars and front sway bar (I want to keep them). I may consider ditching the front and rear track bars and retaining the front sway bar and just installing the Skyjacker 2.5-6" discos for the sway bar. I don't want to spend the $$$ really, but I do want this to be done right with no binding of the suspension or limitations on the amount of lift I should realize with this kit.

YOu all are great, sorry for so many questions!

Moonshine, what type of currie booms did you purachse? I'm not looking for much if any lift out of them, but it seems counter productive to utilize the stock stuff and wast time on that junk. I want to do this right the first time. I have heard that 5/8" of total shackle lift will not cause any issues? Did you get them from Quadratec? I may try to install the Rancho U-bolt shims on my rear axle, which should cant the axle upwards enough that I don't have to use the T-case drop shims supplied by EMU, I might experiment with that since I am fortunate to have a lift in my shop.

-Greg
now your catching on..... do **** ONCE.... taht is why I waited to do my SOA, wanted all the parts here and do it once.

lots of ppl make boom shackles, and any will be good quality really.... the old man emu ones you get are anti wrap which is same as a boom shackle... really... but the OME ones are heavier duty as in they dont have the boomerang cut, the are solid triangle, and thicker.... just my personal observations....

and I would try with just shims and NO tcase crop... you may be surprised.... without angling your dshaft.. you may not get vibes, everyone is different here.

I am 99% sure chekc your old front springs, they wont have shims on them

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
GJeepFan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds good!

Since I already have the EMU busing kit, I was thinking about these shackels, since they do not come with bushings I can save some $$ and not duplicate cost, they seem decent?

Thoughts before I take the plunge?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16049_4010.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16049_4011.htm

I'm guessing that if I bought those shackels that provide 1" of lift, I would need sway bar discos for 3.5-4" of lift, correct?

I was thinking these would be OK?

http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/susp...ts-p-4527.html

If not those, then with 1" lift shackels, these would seem to work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...Q5fAccessories

Thanks!
Unread 05-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJeepFan View Post
Sounds good!

Since I already have the EMU busing kit, I was thinking about these shackels, since they do not come with bushings I can save some $$ and not duplicate cost, they seem decent?

Thoughts before I take the plunge?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16049_4010.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16049_4011.htm

I'm guessing that if I bought those shackels that provide 1" of lift, I would need sway bar discos for 3.5-4" of lift, correct?

I was thinking these would be OK?

http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/suspension-components-jeep-sway-yjcj-front-swaybar-disconnects-p-4527.html

If not those, then with 1" lift shackels, these would seem to work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wrangler-YJ-Front-Sway-Bar-End-Links-3-4-5-Lift-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aJeepQQhashZitem3cb6 9318d7QQitemZ260761131223QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruck Q5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks!
Ya I dont know on the sway bar.. I ditched mine and never looked back...

for shackles I got these.... just tell them to send the shackles NOT the bushings IIRC, the shackles came in sperate box, the bushings came prepackaged in a bag.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_900.htm

Unread 05-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If I were to buy new shackles, I would buy the EMU brand, or MORE boomerang 5/8ths or possibly 3/8ths. You want to make sure you get the shackle bolts with the shackle plates on this deal I would think. When I bought my Curries, I just bought the complete set, and had extra bushings left over. But, if you are able to have these components separated and shipped from the supplier, and save some money. Obviously that is not a bad thing.
I ditched my track bars and sway bar as well.
If you are going with say a 5/8ths shackle lift, I'd probably still stick with the 2.5 inch sway bar extensions. That will work just fine, you really won't want more than that for the given application. I see the benefits of retaining the sway bar, but the track bars in my opinion are a defect from the factory. They do not arch with articulation properly, even in stock form. But of course, they are a factory installed item, and they do hold the axles tight, no question about that. So it is up to you of course on these matters.
Unread 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
GJeepFan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds good, I will call quadratec and see what the cost of the EMU shackel kit is without the bushings since I already have those. Probably more $$$ but it makes the most sense since I already have EMU bushings, to stay with the EMU shackels.

You all think the Skyjacker 2.5" discos are what I need as well? OR can I buy the Rough Country ones and just drill an extra hole in them for the hight of lift I hvae? (they are supposedly for 4-6" of lift but seem to have plenty of meat in-between that I could drill it out or cut them down)

If you looked at the links I posted above, those shackle kits both did not come with bushings, but did come with plates and bolts, and they were $40 a piece or $80 total.....not bad and were said to be good for 1" of lift, but that seemed like a lot to me as I understand with large shackle lifts they take too much arch out of the springs.... (not a good thing)
Unread 05-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

big shackle lifts = bad....

just go 5/8 OME or RC whichever.....

Unread 05-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
GJeepFan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update, making some progress!

I am making steady progress on my EMU lift install. I'm attaching some photos showing how things are going.

You will note that both of my track bars have met their demise... (LOL). I understand EMU may state their lift is designed to work with all OEM suspension components, but I did not find that to be the case. After I installed the rear springs and torqued the shackle and frame bolts, I could NOT get the rear track bar installed.

It needed a minimum of 1/2" more length to get the bolt into the axle end. I probably could have jacked that side up enough to get the bolt installed, but then the track bar would have been limiting suspension travel on that side more than the other.

Also, I was able to remove all rear shackle bolts without cutting and I was able to re-use all my rear shackle bolts and metal sleeves! See, EMU knows their stuff, as they only give you the sleeves for the frame mounts b/c those were all rusted fast on mine and required cutting, all my shackle ones (so far) have come apart and I have been able to drive out the metal sleeves and install those in the EMU shackle bushings.

To get the rear frame bolts out without cutting, you first have to pry out the outside bushing in the frame. My 95 has very little rust, so I was able to pry it out and grab it with a vice grip and wiggle it out of the frame. Once that is out you can grab the sleeve and wiggle that out of the inside frame bushing. Then take a 3/4" deep socket and an extension and drive the inner bushing out of the frame. Once the inner bushing is out of the frame, you can angle the bolt around the fuel tank and out.

I'd also reccomend that if you use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, you use care when cutting the inside of the spring frame mount bolts. I got angled just the slightest bit and cut into the inside frame bracket just a touch. Not enough to cause weakness, but I did it to two of them before I figured out how to cut the inside bolt without getting angled. I touched up one with my welder so it's not an issue, but the inside part of the bolt is easy to get angled if your not very careful about it.

Thank the Lord for my cutting torch, or I would have never gotten my sway bar links off my sway bar. I ended up taking it off completly and putting it my bench vice and then heating it with the touch and beating them off. I'm ditching front and rear track bars, but retaining the sway bar since my rig will be primarily an on-road rig. I have to say I am very impressed with the EMU lift. It's amazing how sagged the stock springs on my 95' were! (see photo showing rear lift complete and front stock! (LOL). I also had to have my Jeep on the ground to get the lower rear shock bolts in so the EMU shocks do limit suspension travel some (a good thing) b/c without the shock in, my rubber brake hose was VERY taught with the rig on my lift and the suspension at full droop.

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement. I've got the front to do, but have the driver's side bushings replaced and the driver's side spring is ready to be installed.

Can't wait to get my 31' s on it now! This lift makes the 235's seem TINY! HAHAA.
dscn1362-1-.jpg   dscn1363-1-.jpg   dscn1364-1-.jpg   dscn1365-1-.jpg  
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJeepFan

It needed a minimum of 1/2" more length to get the bolt into the axle end. I probably could have jacked that side up enough to get the bolt installed, but then the track bar would have been limiting suspension travel on that side more than the other.
I also had to have my Jeep on the ground to get the lower rear shock bolts in so the EMU shocks do limit suspension travel some (a good thing) b/c without the shock in, my rubber brake hose was VERY taught with the rig on my lift and the suspension at full droop.
Can't wait to get my 31' s on it now! This lift makes the 235's seem TINY! HAHAA.
I did the same with my track bar. It will fit, but it pulls the entire axle to the passenger side that half inch. I went as far as cutting the mounting brackets off the frame and axle.
I noticed the same issue with the shocks limiting droop, but figured it was due to the 5/8 lift boomerang shackles I used. I have 4" brake extensions, so I'd rather raise the lower shock mount and have a bit more droop at the wheels.
I had a PO installed 2 inch shackle lift with 31's for a while and it looked good. Now I have the same 31's but the OME lift, 5/8 shackles, and 1" body lift... Makes the 31's not look so big any more. I am now thinking 33's and a small bit of trimming.

Great progress and good tips for anyone doing a lift. You'll love the ride quality of OME.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You should find the front springs will be a better experience installing, then the rear springs for sure. Looks great!!
Unread 05-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #15
GJeepFan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I'll take some more photos as things progress and some of the completed project and then a final one once I get the 31"'s.
I'm trying to decide between the Firestone Destination A/T and the BFG All-Terrains.....leaning towards the Firestone, just from personal preference.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.