Installing New 4x6 Speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing New 4x6 Speakers

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-22-2001, 09:09 AM   #1
LNDSRK

Installing New 4x6 Speakers

Is it me or does the whole dash need to be removed to install 4x6 speakers? I have a 1995 YJ, and am looking at upgrading the speakers.

[url=http://www.novajeepers.com]Northern Virginia Jeepers Association[/url]
LNDSRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2001, 10:34 AM   #2
Newfie

No, but it helps if you have REALLY small hands attached to REALLY skinny arms... If you don't take the dash apart, expect many cuts and scrapes. The biggest problem I had when helping a buddy do this on his YJ was the nuts 'jumping' onto the speaker magnets. Major PITA... HTH
Unread 04-22-2001, 11:12 AM   #3
LNDSRK

Well I guess that rules me out on both... I', 6'6" So I got some big hands and arms... Looks like I'll be taking the dash apart.

Unread 04-22-2001, 04:33 PM   #4
Cody_91YJ

Its a PAIN!!
But I think you can manage if you take the dash apart.

I had em installed for me...I don't think they'll ever touch my Jeep again lol!
They had a hell of a time because they did it without touching the dash
Unread 04-24-2001, 02:25 AM   #5
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've taken my dash completely apart twice and replaced the speakers both times. I figured since I had it apart the second time I might as well replace the speakers while I was at it. The passenger side is the easiest side. You might be able to get the speaker in without too much trouble. The driver side is different. It's tight and just like Newfie said, expect cuts. LOL!

There migth be an easier way to install the speakers without taking the dash completely apart. I'd try removing the torx under the windshield seal. This means dropping the windshield. Then remove the 3 torx on each side, near the speaker openings. You might be able to pull the dash out enough to get a speaker up in there. I haven't tried it but it would be easier then taking the whole dash apart.

I've got pictures of my dash removed and a mess of wires all over the place. I'm sure it will scare you so I won't post a direct link. It's on my site, under Technical, YJ Dash Restoration.
Unread 04-24-2001, 11:06 AM   #6
Newfie

Here's a link that might help...
http://www.bc4x4.com/faqs/yj.cfm?cat=10&faqid=99
Unread 04-24-2001, 11:27 PM   #7
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you check in the Hayne's manual, it describes in detail how to do it the easiest way .. passenger side is very easy (as others have said) .. but the drivers side is a pain.

The way I did mine was to remove my windshield bracket (3 torx bolts), then removed the bolts along the door (between the speedo and door), wedged a prybar in there, twisted off the nuts and the rest was "easy" ..

The book says to remove the emergency brake and other things .. I didn't try that way
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2001, 03:23 AM   #8
smitty93yj

Ok..... first thing. For this throw the Hynes manual out. When I did it I used the method Jeffy described. Loosen the three horizontal bolts on each side of the dash, drop your windshield and try the bolts on the top. If these don't come out stop. Then pry as described above. I ended clipping one speaker screw off because I wanted the project to be over. I haven't had a problem with it coming loose though.
Good luck!!!

Smitty
smitty93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2001, 07:46 PM   #9
dennisuello
1997 TJ Wrangler 

use wing-nuts to install your new speakers, easier to put on and easier to take off later if needed.
Unread 04-27-2001, 10:18 PM   #10
LNDSRK

Well since the insurance company had to pay to have the new ones installed I wasn't going to complain much. I just had them installed along with two 6x9m (And two other speaker mounts), which were mounted inside the Tuffy speaker/security boxes... They sound great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.