Installing Nerf Step Bars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing Nerf Step Bars

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-31-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
sc1972

Installing Nerf Step Bars

I searched, but didn't find anything I could really understand. Does anyone know where there might be a write-up on how to install Nerf step bars on a Wrangler? I need instructions that are pretty simple. I'm very dangerous around tools; so dangerous in fact that my girlfriend usually hides them from me.

I assume they just bolt onto the frame under each doorway, right? Is there a specific measurement I should use to center them? I know you're going to just say "eyeball it" but if you could see all the crooked shelves (even using a level) in our house, you'd see why me eyeballing it is a bad idea.

Do you just drill straight through the frame? What size/kind of bolt should be used? I bought the bars used off of a guy on craigslist, and they didn't come with any mounting hardware. Obviously I don't want to jack up the frame by drilling in the wrong place, or having to drill multiple times because I screwed the first ones up.

So a simple write-up, hopefully with pictures and words with less than 3 syllables would do me a lot of good. And if you can't bring yourself to do it for me, then do it for my poor Jeep. A few months ago when I was mounting my rear speakers (and making a mess out of it, simple as it is), my Jeep was so ashamed of being owned by me that it went to a divorce lawyer and threatened me with a legal seperation, followed by a divorce, followed by years and years of giant payments for its "pain and suffering".

Help our relationship. Please.

Unread 05-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
jeep_chinto

the nerf bars should come with instructions.. my yj had nerf bars on them and i took them off looks like there was a place from the factory just to bolt them on because there were nuts welded on the inside of the fraim
jeep_chinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
RIGSBN8R

I think they might mount one place on the frame and one place on the body. If you can't hold them up and figure out which hole/body mount it is, then I have nothing to say 'cept "I'm sorry.
Unread 05-31-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
xxxflhrci

You basically hold them up to the frame and put them where you want them. Do some simple measuring to make sure you get them in the same spot on each side. You install them with some special self tapping bolts. You have to drill a pilot hole that is slightly smaller than the bolt you use, then turn the bolt into the hole. The bolt cuts it's own threads as it goes in. You should be able to find the bolts at any good fastener store.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
YJBlues
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you aren't comfortable with just eyeing it up, simply find the center of the nerf bar and mark it with a piece of chalk, find the center of the door opening and mark it with a piece of chalk, line the two chalk marks up and use holes in nerf bar to mark where the bolts need to go.
Unread 06-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #6
Flashfoto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I put Smittybuilt nerf's on my '88. Self-tapping bolt's came with it & the instruction's tell you what size bit to buy.

I found the best way, was to clamp it where you want it. Drill ONE hole at one end & install the bolt. Check your alignment & repeat the process at the other end. Remove the clamps & drill & bolt the rest. This way, there is no chance of the dang thing moving between drill holes. I used my impact wrench to install the bolt's.

I have beat the hell out of the Smittybuilt's & they have held up well.
Flashfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

i had a nerf football one time, it was pretty cool.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.