Installing Dana 60's on my YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing Dana 60's on my YJ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-26-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
Umm...

Installing Dana 60's on my YJ?

This guy said he would sell me his pickup with Dana 60's and 4.10 gears among other off-road mods, and I told him I would prolly strip the truck for goodies for my Jeep. He didn't seem to care but he said I might have to cut the D60's to get them to fit on my Jeep. I don't really know whats involved in an axle change, or how I go about getting the 4.10 into my Jeep, I'm pretty new at this, so I wanted to know if this was a good idea. So here are my questions, any help is appreciated!

Are the D60's bolt in parts for my stock yj?

If not, and I do end up having to "cut" the axles, I'm not clear on how you would do this, since you'd have to like cut it in the middle or something?

Are Dana 60's harder for my Jeep to turn compared to the stock 30/35 setup? I.e. are they ganna make my M.P.G go down/ make on-road handling worse? This Jeep is 95% DD for now.

Thanks!

Last edited by Umm...; 05-27-2005 at 12:44 AM..
Umm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
sjlplat

The D60's are far stronger than the D30/D35. They will be about 7" wider than your stock axles. You can install them, but it will require relocating the rear perches, outboarding the front spring hangers, custom driveshafts, custom steering, a little creative brakeline adaptation, and a brake master cylinder upgrade. If they're Chevy or Dodge axles, you'll need a different transfer case to match up with the front differential yoke for the driveshaft.

Full-width axles have their benefits, and then they have their downsides. Typically you need to run 37" or taller tires with them to allow for enough clearance under the bigger diffs. The wider track-width makes off-camber obstacles more tolerable, and improves articulation, but increases your turning radius.

A pic of mine on full-width 1-tons and 39.5's:

sjlplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

Going off of sjlplat's post, I wouldn't even consider those axles for a daily-driven rig.

Oh, and good luck passing a State inspection if required. The tires will almost stick out completely past the fenders.
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
sjlplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySHOguy
Going off of sjlplat's post, I wouldn't even consider those axles for a daily-driven rig.

Oh, and good luck passing a State inspection if required. The tires will almost stick out completely past the fenders.
You'd be amazed at how nice my rig drives on the street. It's almost as smooth as my Ford Taurus.
Unread 05-27-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
jeepramnauth
2010 JK Wrangler 

DANA 60's.... Nicccce

but definately not for daily useage, ur but will get too sore to fast (faster then it already does with a stock YJ)
jeepramnauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 08:02 AM   #6
sjlplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepramnauth
DANA 60's.... Nicccce

but definately not for daily useage, ur but will get too sore to fast (faster then it already does with a stock YJ)
See my previous post. The axles don't determine ride quality. The suspension does.
Unread 05-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlplat
You'd be amazed at how nice my rig drives on the street. It's almost as smooth as my Ford Taurus.

Oh, I'm sure it rides nice.

I was regarding the legality of driving such a beast on the road in states that have lift, tire, and fender flare laws (NM doesn't have much in the way of laws, does it? )
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 09:27 AM   #8
sjlplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySHOguy
Oh, I'm sure it rides nice.

I was regarding the legality of driving such a beast on the road in states that have lift, tire, and fender flare laws (NM doesn't have much in the way of laws, does it? )
Next to no laws at all.

The only laws that apply in New Mexico are 2 dual-beam headlights, 2 taillights, 1 brakelight, corner markers, 1 mirror, seatbelts, and emissions in some countys. The only ones that are enforced are seatbelts, headlights, taillights, brakelights, and emissions.
Unread 05-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #9
Umm...

Quote:
They will be about 7" wider than your stock axles. You can install them, but it will require relocating the rear perches, outboarding the front spring hangers, custom driveshafts, custom steering, a little creative brakeline adaptation, and a brake master cylinder upgrade. If they're Chevy or Dodge axles, you'll need a different transfer case to match up with the front differential yoke for the driveshaft.
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much involved ; ;. I'm pretty sure the truck was a Chevy and I definatly don't have the kinda money to do those mods right now but thanks a bunch for gettin me the info. I guess I could just buy the axles off him and hide them in the back of my garage <_<. As for the legal stuff, I know here in MD its illegal for tires to stick out past the fenders
Umm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Might be better off searching for the axles out of a Ford F150 or Bronco before they went to IFS front suspension. You'd end up with the driver's side drop for your transfer case. Plus, I think the axles are a little narrower and definately lighter/smaller so you don't need 38" rubber to clear the ground. Maybe even a later model Wagoneer with the driver's side drop.. that would give you a front Dana 44 about 60" wide.. Scout Dana 44 rear 58" wide... those are a few more options for ya...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #11
Raindem
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlplat
...The only ones that are enforced are seatbelts, headlights, taillights, brakelights, and emissions.
And scratch emissions if you don't live in Albuquerque.
Unread 05-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #12
Roadkill43

Man how I miss New Mexico.......
1991 Black YJ, 2.5, Herculined, K&N, Electric Fan, Posi-Loc, 2" BDS, 31" BFG MT's, American Racing rims, Aussie Locked rear, Tuffy lockboxes, Daystar shackles, AtoZ rockers, SmittyBuilt SRC bumpers, 100W KC Daylighter Fog lights, and more to come….

"Being smart is just like driving a jeep, you still get stuck just farther from help."

My Rig
Roadkill43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
jeepin_coug

[QUOTE=BESRK]so you don't need 38" rubber to clear the ground. ..[/QUOTE

what's the point of running 60's if your not going to be running at least 37-38" tires?

05 unlimited rubicon: stock, but not for long!
jeepin_coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #14
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I agree... however, I've seen some rigs with one ton axles and 35s.. Personally, I like one tons and 40+ rubber

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 01:28 AM   #15
sjlplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindem
And scratch emissions if you don't live in Albuquerque.
Still applies if you live outside Albuquerque and commute. I have no idea how they enforce that, but they haven't stuck me with an emissions request yet.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.