Installing boom shackles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing boom shackles?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
brinoff

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Installing boom shackles?

Does the axle need to be removed from the springs in order to mount new shackles. I'm just feeling a little lazy......

93YJ 4.0 I6, AX-15, NP231 Teraflex SYE, Tom Wood Drive Shaft, G2 D44 ARB, ARB locked 30, T&T customs axle trusses, ProComp 35" Mud Terrain, RE SD 4" Lift, Daystar 1" BL, Harbor Freight 8000 Winch, Swing Away Tire Carrier, and some other stuff.
brinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just need some jackstands to put the jeep up on, and a floor jack to support the axle. I did one side at a time.

see

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
jpfix
1991 YJ Wrangler 

a long pipe, a pal with a steady hand and quick reflexes if the pal reaches for a beer when you are shoving in the bolt....
jpfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

somebody here recomended just putting a bottle jack between the spring and frame and apply pressure as needed. i havent tride this but if it works it would be the quickest. if it slips tour toast!
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

jack it up,remove tire,place stands under frame, let axle drop,remove old, install new, put tire back on, and tighten them up.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
somebody here recomended just putting a bottle jack between the spring and frame and apply pressure as needed. i havent tride this but if it works it would be the quickest. if it slips tour toast!

I did this, and reccomend it... I think I used a sicsor jack from a nissan... worked fine, was quick.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I never removed the tire or used a jack between the spring & frame. I raised the jeep supported it with stands, used a big pry bar to pull the spring down. Took maybe an hour for all four corners. make sure you put them on right or it does take twice as long.....
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
carl6405
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just adjusted my springs up into the next position in my shackle, I did it like BigboyKY, except, i used a sissor jack, the one under the hood of the jeep actualy, instead of a pry bar. makes the job simple. just put your jack between the shackle and the frame of your jeep. that gives you the ability to easily push your leaf spring down or up, which allows you to get the bolt off easy.
carl6405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
carl6405
1993 YJ Wrangler 

sorry. typo in my last post. "just put your jack between the shackle and the frame of your jeep" I meant, between your leaf spring and the frame of your jeep.
Unread 10-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl6405 View Post
I just adjusted my springs up into the next position in my shackle.

what? next position on the shackle?

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
carl6405
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought some boomerang shackles and put them on when I had the 4" lift kit on. The shackles have 3 sets of bolt holes in them. I had my leaf springs in the bottom. The body was to high after all that, so I moved the leaf springs up to the middle set of bolt holes, if that makes since.
Unread 10-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the middle bolt holes are supposed to have a bolt to keep the shackle from bending.

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

you can not run that center bolt, i dont.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Three sets of holes, like these, or not? In this type of arrangement the middle hole is for bracing purposes, but not intended as a mounting location. Just curious as to what you meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #15
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl6405 View Post
I bought some boomerang shackles and put them on when I had the 4" lift kit on. The shackles have 3 sets of bolt holes in them. I had my leaf springs in the bottom. The body was to high after all that, so I moved the leaf springs up to the middle set of bolt holes, if that makes since.
Nope that doesn't make sense. I bet it looks pretty stupid (sorry to be blunt). It also takes away any advantage of having booms in the first place.

And by saying "The body was too high" what do mean? What problem did the height cause?

I would not recommend doing this...but maybe it's just me.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.