Installing 4.0L Throttle Body ATTN: Atropine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing 4.0L Throttle Body ATTN: Atropine

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-09-2002, 03:51 PM   #1
Nine5YJ

Installing 4.0L Throttle Body ATTN: Atropine

Hey,

I finally got a 4.0 TB to put on my 2.5L. On Atropines website it says it will idle real high... just what on the tach should it read? I was by aout 6000RPMs when i turned it on instantly... is this normal? And how long does it stay like this? PLEASE HELP!!!!
Tom

Unread 10-09-2002, 11:25 PM   #2
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It shouldn't idle so high, should be around 1500 or so. Make sure your using your original 2.5 AIS motor.
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:51 AM   #3
Mels95YJ

6000 RPMs???? My God!!! Doesn't it redline at about 7 or 8,000? Anyways, I would try using the 2.5 AIS motor like Jay-P said. I think it's Atropine's article that states you have a piece of metal that you'll have to snip off to get the TB to seat properly. If you use the 2.5, you won't have to snip anything off. It fits perfectly. HTH

Mel
Unread 10-10-2002, 09:13 AM   #4
Tnuts

Yeah, What he Said!

You have to use the brackets and sensors form the 2.5 TB. I did the same thing when I put my 4.0TB on and didn't have a tamperprof torx bit to take the all the things off the 2.5 onto the 4.0 and thought I was going to blow my Jeep up. Got the proper torx bit the next day and installed everything from one body to the other, mounted it up and ran like a champ. High idled(15-1800rpm) for a couple of seconds and then was AOK! HTHs
Unread 10-10-2002, 11:21 AM   #5
Newfie

Did you swap/remove/replace the AIS (air intake sensor)? Sounds like you put it in in reverse. Pull it out and turn it 180* and bolt it back up. It shouldn't matter if it's the 2.5 or 4.0 AIS or TPS. I used the ones that came on my 4.0 TB and no issues. Did however see this problem when a buddy called after swapping his and that was what was wrong. He was idleing at 4700 - 5200 and after we changed the AIS it dropped back to 750.
Unread 10-10-2002, 03:29 PM   #6
Nine5YJ

Thanks for the info guys... when i went to check the sensor position, i realized that the TB was cracked from the base about half way. It wasnt like that when i put it on... Could the instantaneous 6000RPMs have cracked it? im talking once the key was turned it was at 55K and then bounced to 6K i followed the directions on atropine's and 4 bangers website for installation... and the sensor appeared to be in correctly. I have put the old 2.5L TB back on... i only paid $20 at a junkyard for the 4.0L...

Aside from that, should i worry about any engine damage? I know that the oil wasnt yet in the cylinders, and the engine had been cold for about 2 hours. When i turned it on, and it shop up there, i left it on for maybe close to 15-20 seconds to see if it would drop, but it would only keep climbing. I never pound on my engine, and i change oil at less than 3000 mile intervals. Should i be worried? Thanks
Unread 10-10-2002, 03:44 PM   #7
Jay-P
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless your hearing some knocking or ticking now that wasn't there before. Otherwise it should be fine.
Jay-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.