Installed a new O2 sensor.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installed a new O2 sensor..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-12-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Installed a new O2 sensor..

So I finally got my new Bosch O2 sensor in (I just need this thing to pass smog) and the idle seems a bit high, about 1100rpm or just shy of it. I tried pushing on the butterfly valve to see if it's opening at all and it's not..

There's no vacuum leaks either, I've verified that already. A buddy suggested that I need to run it for a bit for the computer to adjust everything properly and adapt to the new sensor. How true is this? FWIW all of the sensors (temp sensors, MAP, and even the new O2 sensor) are all working properly, and they all yield voltages/ohm readings that they should be..

I have driven it for all of about 10 minutes with the new sensor.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can reset the ECM by removing the positive battery connection for a few minutes; always a good thing to do when replacing a sensor.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I reset the computer by pulling the positive lead off the battery and touching it to the negative for 30 seconds, then hooked it back up, turned the key to the om position, flipped the headlights on then off, and turned the Jeep off.

Although it seems like everything is worse now. I'm pretty sure I had half a tank when I left, and 15 minutes later the Jeep had burned through at least 2 gallons of gas, and I only went 5 miles without going over 50mph...

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 09-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I reset the computer by pulling the positive lead off the battery and touching it to the negative for 30 seconds, then hooked it back up, turned the key to the om position, flipped the headlights on then off, and turned the Jeep off.

Although it seems like everything is worse now. I'm pretty sure I had half a tank when I left, and 15 minutes later the Jeep had burned through at least 2 gallons of gas, and I only went 5 miles without going over 50mph...
Wait, that just ain't right! I remember going through all the sensors before, and I especially suspected the MAP till you got onto the O2. I was wondering what ever happened about the T-stat? Far as the MAP goes last I heard they should vary from 0.8 to 4.8 volts depending. Man it bugs me that I can't have a look at this myself.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

MAP sensor is reading fine, and so are all of the other sensors, even the new O2, so I don't know why.

Unless it has something to do with the computer learning how you drive?

Unread 09-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
MAP sensor is reading fine, and so are all of the other sensors, even the new O2, so I don't know why.

Unless it has something to do with the computer learning how you drive?
Guess its possible, but I didn't think the older computers could do that. Only the ones made in the last few years. : I'm just sure there's something not right...
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.