Installed LockRight today, some lingering sideeffects... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installed LockRight today, some lingering sideeffects...

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
Roach
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Installed LockRight today, some lingering sideeffects...

1. I took my drivers side brake caliper off to remove the axle and i made the mistake of loosening the brake line from the caliper, draining a small amount of fluid. when I put the caliper back on I compressed it with a C-clamp and fought with it to get it back on...now it seems to stay partially compressed, so the pads are rubbing the rotor.

2. My 4WD light won't go off - I think this is due to the assembly lube holding the locker closed, keeping tension of the intermediate shaft so the ford can't slide over...

Also, I filled the diff with heavier gear oil than what was in it.

Suggestions?

The traction is awesome by the way

Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
CrazyCooter
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If the 4wd light won't go out, you have either installed the axle shifter incorrectly. Or the vacuum lines are reversed. Either is an easy fix though.

91 YJ 4.0 HO/AW4 Front TJ coil conversion
CrazyCooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
Roach
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Didn't touch the axle shifter, - Didn't even have to remove the carrier. (stock gears)

and the vacuum lines weren't removed either...I don't think so anyway.

It wasn't on until i shifted it into 4WD to play with the locker.
Unread 06-01-2008, 05:44 AM   #4
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If youre not "stuck in 4wd" (which you would definately feel with the locker) I would just drive it a bit and see if the light goes out. Since youre front driveshaft is going to spin all the time now anyway - might be a good time to get some TJ shafts and loose the disco all together. Especially if your running those 33's.

edit- Ummm. How heavy of gear lube are we talking?

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Roach
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon View Post
edit- Ummm. How heavy of gear lube are we talking?
80 / 90 .
Unread 06-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
80 / 90 .
you'll be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Roach
1994 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

The brake issue seemed to be because one of the pads slipped off the retainer (inside pad toward the bottom, the clip thing was under the retaining lip on the knuckle) - I think anyway, We'll find out...

The 4WD light issue seemed to have been because it wasn't disengaging the shaft due to my posi-lock cable poking out of the back of the shift lever - d'oh

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.