Installed a 4" RC lift this weekend - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Installed a 4" RC lift this weekend

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
sailmike83
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Installed a 4" RC lift this weekend

Attempt number 2 to post this (first time I was almost done and IE crashes ):

So I tossed on the RC 4" lift this weekend, but it did not come without a few snags along the way. We even started off the project with a problem... if the rear wheels being seized on isn't a bad sign to begin a project.. then, I don't know what is (had to take a BFH to them).

The install went alright, it was the disassembly that was a PITA. I definitely gave my grinder a workout this weekend, ended up having to cut out 3 of 4 spring-to-frame bolts (bolts rusted to the sleeve like a weld), cut a rear shock mount bolt (same problem), and needed to have one of my uncles cut off one of the skid plate bolts with a torch (seemed to have the threads stripped, just spun but didn't move). The shackle bolts came out suprisingly easy, from all the problems I've heard about wiggling them out, mine might have been an exception; I just did was i had read, took the outter bushing out, took out the sleeve, and the bolt came right out.

Putting the kit on was a breeze, everything went very smoothly. Torqued the shackle-frame bolts to 60lbs, shackle-spring bolts to 45lbs, and the spring-frame bolts are around 90lbs. It's still a little bouncy, so we'll see if that settles after they get broken in.

On a related note... I plan on getting it aligned, should that wait until the springs settle?

Here are some before/after pictures (can't post pictures yet, so if anyone fixes it for me i'd appreciate it)

- Mike

Before:

After:

sailmike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
modfox
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good!
What size tires are ya running?
I ordered my RC lift oer the weekend. Cant wait to get it on.
modfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

click free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmike83 View Post
Attempt number 2 to post this (first time I was almost done and IE crashes ):

So I tossed on the RC 4" lift this weekend, but it did not come without a few snags along the way. We even started off the project with a problem... if the rear wheels being seized on isn't a bad sign to begin a project.. then, I don't know what is (had to take a BFH to them).

The install went alright, it was the disassembly that was a PITA. I definitely gave my grinder a workout this weekend, ended up having to cut out 3 of 4 spring-to-frame bolts (bolts rusted to the sleeve like a weld), cut a rear shock mount bolt (same problem), and needed to have one of my uncles cut off one of the skid plate bolts with a torch (seemed to have the threads stripped, just spun but didn't move). The shackle bolts came out suprisingly easy, from all the problems I've heard about wiggling them out, mine might have been an exception; I just did was i had read, took the outter bushing out, took out the sleeve, and the bolt came right out.

Putting the kit on was a breeze, everything went very smoothly. Torqued the shackle-frame bolts to 60lbs, shackle-spring bolts to 45lbs, and the spring-frame bolts are around 90lbs. It's still a little bouncy, so we'll see if that settles after they get broken in.

On a related note... I plan on getting it aligned, should that wait until the springs settle?

Here are some before/after pictures (can't post pictures yet, so if anyone fixes it for me i'd appreciate it)

- Mike

Before:

After:

1992 YJ -2.5 Old Man Emu lift, RC 1-1/4" Boom greasable shackles, JKS Discos, 1" Daystar BL, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's mounted on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, flush mounted tailights, SJFab front bumper, TKH Fab swingout tire carrier welded to a Dirtworx rear bumper, Tuffy stereo console, RC SS Extended brake lines, Home brew plate relocation bracket, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Cat back, No track bars front or rear
1997 XJ - 4.5 RC coils + extra OEM spring isolator(6.5" actual front), OME medium duty springs+OME extra leaf + Teraflex 1.5 shackles (6.5" actual in rear), OME Long travel shocks, OME SS, IRO Adj TB, IRO Adj LCA'S, IRO Adj Uppers, RC Control arm drop brackets, JKS Quicker Discos, SYE / XJ shaft, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RC SS extended Brake lines, Hella 500's
1996 ZJ - RE 2 inch BB w/shocks (rides like crap), OME SS, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2's - SOLD
ar4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

this may seem like an odd request. but could you take a pic of ur dog standing beside the jeep? helps give size to ur jeep... like mine..

I have the same dog. LMAO.

Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Whats on the todo list next?

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
sailmike83
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modfox View Post
Looks good!
What size tires are ya running?
I ordered my RC lift oer the weekend. Cant wait to get it on.
Sorry, I forgot to include that. They're 33x12.5 Goodyear SilentArmors on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompatt View Post
this may seem like an odd request. but could you take a pic of ur dog standing beside the jeep? helps give size to ur jeep... like mine..

I have the same dog. LMAO.
Sure... it'll have to wait until the weekend though, I'm at school now. Going back next weekend to take care of the dogs and horses so my parents can get a night out--kinda sucks going to school an hour away from home, I never had this problem when I was going to Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Looks good! Whats on the todo list next?
Ha! Hopefully nothing, I'm going to be poor for a while as it is. I might keep my eye out for a set of used 4:10 axles from a 2.5 though. It's fine driving around town right now--I think I actually like how it drives now more than before, although 5th gear absolutely does not exist anymore. I couldn't even maintain speed at 75 in 5th, I started going slower.
sailmike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you need 4.88 gears buddy. just get it in your mind, front and rear R&P plus install kits gonna cost you 300-350. absolutely best money spent on jeep so far.
Unread 02-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestos View Post
you need 4.88 gears buddy. just get it in your mind, front and rear R&P plus install kits gonna cost you 300-350. absolutely best money spent on jeep so far.
4.10's should be fine for 33's with a 4.0
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ooh crap, ya, i look stupid!!@! missed the 4.0 part my apologies! i suck! later!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.