Inside of frame cleaning? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Inside of frame cleaning?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-27-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
ImportEater
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Inside of frame cleaning?

Well Im currently rebuilding my rig. The outside of the frame needs to be cleaned and painted. If I look inside the frame at the end of the frame rails, I can see minor surface rust near the opening.

How does one clean this rust off and out? Pressure washer? Media blaster?

Im having fun doing this build, but if I do all this work just to have the frame rot from the inside out, Il lbe mad.

I dont want to swap the frame, I dont think its needed. I just need to get the frame clean inside and out.

As always, thank for the help.

ImportEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
krd
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i've heard of guys putting alittle used motor oil in. never tried it though.
258 str.6 w/1" mml, nuttered, 32/36 weber carb, hei, TF-999 w/hurst floor shift, np231 w/aa slip yoke eliminator, jks quick discos, 3-1/2" fabtech, 1" bl, MORE 5/8" boomerangs front and rear, dana 44's front and rear 4.56 locked, herculined tub and family style roll bar, jks u-bolt plates, xenon flat fenders, rrc pre-runner, custom built rear bumper, Gen-right rock sliders and hood louvers, 35" mtz micky t's, bullet proof high steer, bestop soft top w/tinted windows.

1988 yj
2007 gmc 2500 crew cab
2009 volvo xc70 turbo
1988 porsche 911
krd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
ImportEater
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I heard that too. I have plenty of that lying around.

I just want to be able to get all the surface rust out first, then oil it you know.

I hate asking this, but, can you cut part of the top frame rail off, then clean the inside and then weld it closed? I know cutting the frame is a last resort for alot of repairs, but I really want a rust free rig.
ImportEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Lumpymayo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Only thing I can think of is to just drill small holes in the frame and use an undercoating spray gun and just spray por 15 in the inside of it. I guess you can sand blast the inside of it prior using this method.
Lumpymayo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
jimaug87
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My last YJ rusted from the inside out too, so I'd be interested in hearing some solutions too.
Unread 01-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

Anybody ever follow up on this? This is my dilemma as well.
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rust-protection-...item43a4d70a07

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you can get ahold of some phosphoric acid (make sure you use safety first with this stuff ;] ) get a decent sprayer and spray a fair amount on the inside. let it sit for about 30 mins...spray the inside with water to wash out... find some sort of heat blaster to dry it out... repeat acid...repeat wash and dry...coat it with POR15.

i know this is possible ive been wanting to do it for quite some time without cutting into the frame. if you try and accomplish this let me know because i do know that acid will obliterate any rust or oxidation
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i know this is not 100% on topic, but i (along with many others) drilled about a half inch hole in the bottom of the rear crossmember (at rear bumper) to make it easier to hose the mud and gunk out from inside. it gives it a place to go.

maybe that will give someone an idea.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
buzzbait122
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tried the drain oil trick on my TJ, kinda worked on the lowest points in the frame but the rest immediately dried out. Gonna try urethane foam on the YJ. My Silverado has this stuff on the inside of the rocker pannels and it seems to work pretty good.
buzzbait122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the frame is really rusty, it needs the bad sections to be cut out and replaced. If you have surface rust, don't worry about it. If you really feel the need to do something about surface rust, apply POR-15.

Urethane foam is another word for sponge. It will hold water and accelerate rusting.

Every spring and fall, stuff a garden hose in the frame rail holes and flush out any dirt, mud, salt, sand, or other goop. It is not short term exposure to water that rusts out Jeep frames, it is the damp mud and goop that holds water long term that causes rust.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions/removal.html

Many of the products on this site can be used on rust all you would need is a wand type sprayer and use it to reach through the existing factory holes in the frame. I believe they may even have a sprayer and a coating specifically for the inside of frames.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #13
buzzbait122
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The stuff used in my Silverado is absolutly waterproof and bonded really good to the metal. It's the stuff used in autobody repair, not the stuff sold in home impovment stores. Anything that excludes water and oxygen will prevent rust. My only concern with using it is what happens when welding nearby.
buzzbait122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #14
cushtech
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I use Eastwood's Anti-Rust.

In a warm month flush out your frame and get all the gunk out of it.
You have to get all the stuff out that's trapping moisture.
Let it dry.
Spray the Anti-Rust in there with an undercoating gun with a wand.
(Wear a mask, gloves and some old clothes!)

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-heavy-dut...rust-32oz.html
http://www.eastwood.com/review/produ.../category/236/

Eastwood anti-rust is a wax that will coat and protect the interior of your frame in the same way as the oil treatment. I repeat this about 2 times a year. So far it's worked well. If you have major rust inside your frame you might need to use another product.
cushtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

There is a product called "CorrosionX" that is made for just this situation.

It is sprayed from a can or wand, neutralizes rust, and protects for about 2 years.

It was developed for the aircraft industry, definitely not a "snake-oil" product. I have used it, and it works.

(note: I don't sell it or work for the company, just a satisfied user).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.