post #1 of Old 10-10-2001, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
helter

Inside Door handle

OK - last fall my drivers side inside door handle broke on my 92 YJ - there's a little plastic piece that hooks a rod to the inside handle door lock and door handle. The little plastic piece snaps and you're out of luck. Well - it just happened again - I have to reach out the window to open the drivers side door.

Does any after market company make a door handle for the full YJ doors that's made of METAL rather than plastic? or at least has metal hardware on the inside so it won't snap when it gets cold out?

Any help would be appreciated.

92 YJ - 30x9.5 BFG
post #2 of Old 10-10-2001, 09:22 AM
powjunkie

Not sure about the handle, but has anyone had trouble with the door locks on the full doors in cold weather? I've had to take mine apart a couple of times to bend the rod so they'll lock and unlock. I've been thinking about mounting a motor and tapping into the alarm with quick connects for when the doors are off.

94 YJ 4", SYE, 33 mud t's on MT classics; 4.10's with Detroit Truetrac in rear
post #3 of Old 10-10-2001, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
helter

Jeep Chic replied:
Quote:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but,I believe the replacement door handles that are chromed have the metal parts on the inside mechanism.
When you say 'replacement door handles' I think you're thinking of 'outside door handles' so you can get into the vehicle from the outside - what I'm looking for is 'inside door handle' so I can get OUT of my Jeep - have you ever seen chromed inside door handles with metal hardware? If so - please point me there!

Or do the Chromed handles come with the rods and the piece that hooks to the inside door handle?

Any thoughts on any hardware I could use from a hardware store to replace these plastic pieces?

thanks,
Helter

92 YJ - 30x9.5 BFG
post #4 of Old 10-11-2001, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
helter

Well - how about I get a clue - I mentioned that I had replaced this part once before - Well - I kept the old part. Each door handle has 2 of these little snap-prone plastic connectors - so my old part still has 1 good one(from the door lock switch). Of course - I needed someone else to point this out to me - after I fixed it with duct tape and put the door back together. I wonder how long the duct tape will hold? Once it goes - I realize now that I have 1 spare connector.

92 YJ - 30x9.5 BFG