Inside the AX15 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Inside the AX15

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #16
hillie4life
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post

Wow. Nice. People are just trying to help you with your perceived issue.

If you have an unknown spare trans sitting in your garage. Rebuild it and put it away until the day you need it. Or sell it and rebuild yours when and if required. It's a pretty simple deal really.
No they are not, they (and you) might think they are but no, they're not. This is supposed to be the technical forum, BigEv has a technical issue, most of the advice on this thread has either had nothing to do with his issue (ei telling him how to shift it into reverse while driving his jeep even though his transmission is on a bench, not in his jeep) or telling him to sell it or rebuild it? Are you serious? why do you think hes asking the questions he asking unless hes already come to that crossroad?... Apparently its not a "simple deal"... but instead he's given post after post of meaningless information from people who have nothing worthwhile to add and get their post count raised. If you're curious about this issue (like me) and want to see an answer, just bump it and step away from your keyboard.

I think he should put a video up of the issue like another has mentioned and maybe he'll get some technical advice on the technical forum... Maybe

(Sorry for the rant, just sick of seeing nothing but page filling on the technical forums)

"It's always something"
hillie4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate all the technical support I have received thus far.
I'm not the type of person to run into a transmission issue, and grab a spare in the garage that I know nothing about. I want to know as much as possible.

I will get a video out as soon as possible, as this might help narrow down the playing field.
Unread 02-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #18
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillie4life View Post
No they are not, they (and you) might think they are but no, they're not. This is supposed to be the technical forum, BigEv has a technical issue, most of the advice on this thread has either had nothing to do with his issue (ei telling him how to shift it into reverse while driving his jeep even though his transmission is on a bench, not in his jeep) or telling him to sell it or rebuild it? Are you serious? why do you think hes asking the questions he asking unless hes already come to that crossroad?... Apparently its not a "simple deal"... but instead he's given post after post of meaningless information from people who have nothing worthwhile to add and get their post count raised. If you're curious about this issue (like me) and want to see an answer, just bump it and step away from your keyboard.

I think he should put a video up of the issue like another has mentioned and maybe he'll get some technical advice on the technical forum... Maybe

(Sorry for the rant, just sick of seeing nothing but page filling on the technical forums)
Have you read the post you have contributed to the thread?

Glass house and all that.

People are trying to help. It is a technical discussion. A discussion. Stop being rude.

ETA: I understand the question being asked. I am waiting for the video to be posted before offering a solution if there is a problem.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UH29...ature=youtu.be

Used a gopro3+. Sorry for lack of sound because of waterproof case.
Unread 02-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #20
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well done on the Vid. I couldn't tell though if the reverse arm bracket and reverse shift arm is installed in those transmissions during the actions you demonstrate. Have you tried the engagement/disengagement action with the shift shafts removed--meaning pull all the shift shafts and remove the plugs/interlock pins and ball from the passageway in the intermediate plate? Might you have an out of true shift shaft that isn't moving properly thru the intermediate plate.
I've just finished a rebuild on an AX15, and I now have two others torn down in the garage awaiting parts, and none of them required the amount of force you demonstrated to shift in or out of reverse.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #21
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

With the detent screw loose, it shifts perfect, I think you may be right with the alignment shaft. I'll make another video.

Shift arm and fork were installed on this video.
Unread 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #22
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

With the other transmissions laying right there, you may be able to swap over a shift shaft from one of them. Remember that these shift shafts work in concert with each other via the interlocks. Your reverse shift rail may be fine, and the problem is in another one with which that one interacts via the interlock pins/plugs. Also consider the reverse shift head, there's a ball in there as well. Something is binding you up in there, damaged ball etc and since you said transmission #1 had been rebuilt, you have to consider something the other rebuilder did that wasn't quite right.
I'd still advocate gutting the intermediate plate of all interlocks/plugs/balls, see how it moves then (think you already implied it worked okay with just the detent ball released from tension), and then start adding things back in one-by-one, critically looking at each notch in the shafts, how the interlock pins/balls/plugs move in their bores, and when you get to the one that boogers it up you'll likely have an answer. I'm real suspicious of the previous rebuild now, thinking it over more.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 03-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #23
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any updates on this issue, have you come up with a solution, etc? Just curious.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #24
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry no, haven't even touched them. But honestly I think you nailed it with the shift shaft. There isn't much else it could be
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #25
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Always hard to tell with transmissions. If you end up yanking all the shift rails and interlock pins to get a good look at everything, I have a photo tutorial on putting all that stuff back together if you need. Makes it a bit less nail-biting getting things back together.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a.../#post20872185

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.