Inside the AX15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Inside the AX15

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Inside the AX15 + video +

Well, first off I have 2 AX15 transmissions apart at the garage, I purchased on last night on Craigslist for a spare...

Both transmission would be considered good condition, one is an obvious rebuild by the PO. Minimal wear in the normal area's, reverse idle gear in good condition.

After comparing the 2 side by side, I noticed that it is much easier for #2 transmission to shift into reverse, than #1.
#1 (rebuilt) almost pops into gear with a good amount of pressure.
Where #2, single finger can be put into gear...

Is this a indicator or a reverse shift fork/arm issue? Or is it just broken it and not to worry?

PO says transmission functioned properly, but I don't know if I can trust that.
Video from GoPro3+... sorry for the lack of sound, it was in the waterproof case.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UH29...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Bigev; 02-21-2014 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: added video link
Bigev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The AX15 does not have a synchronized reverse. So one trans could be in a different alignment allowing it to go into reverse easier.

You can use 5th to sync up reverse. In other words pop it into 5th and this will get the reverse gear turning so that it goes into reverse easier.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:03 AM   #3
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Why J?,

I have only used the rebuilt transmission to drive the jeep and didn't have any issues, never seen how the spare one works, hopefully all goes well if/when it needs to be put in.

Thanks
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigev View Post
Thanks Why J?,

I have only used the rebuilt transmission to drive the jeep and didn't have any issues, never seen how the spare one works, hopefully all goes well if/when it needs to be put in.

Thanks
Unless you really beat on it the AX15 should serve you well for a long time.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
92Islander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

WhyJ, I do exactly that all the time! I pop into 5th and then R. Seems like it goes in smoother. Works for 1st (using 2nd) as well. GENTLY letting out the clutch while pressing back on R also works but I find that a little more risky. Too easy to do that while moving and that would be a BIG mistake.
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Guys, I talking about physically shifting the reverse idle gear by hand when the transmission is apart on my bench, not installed in the jeep.

I'll post a video next time I go into the garage.
Unread 02-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Islander View Post
WhyJ, I do exactly that all the time! I pop into 5th and then R. Seems like it goes in smoother. Works for 1st (using 2nd) as well. GENTLY letting out the clutch while pressing back on R also works but I find that a little more risky. Too easy to do that while moving and that would be a BIG mistake.
Off topic to this thread, but there is an easier and more correct way to do that.

Shift to neutral and briefly engage the clutch. Then, pedal back down and shift into whatever gear you wish.

Doing so gets the countershaft spinning a bit and that will help you snick the lever into gear.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If anything, shifting into first or second would help get into reverse better, because your engaging the 1st,2nd & reverse sliding gear. By merely going by the design of the Ax15.

But back to the original topic...
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Off topic to this thread, but there is an easier and more correct way to do that.

Shift to neutral and briefly engage the clutch. Then, pedal back down and shift into whatever gear you wish.

Doing so gets the countershaft spinning a bit and that will help you snick the lever into gear.
Just bouncing into 5 th before reverse seems to work for both my rigs and every other AX5 and AX15 I have ever rowed gears on.

Unread 02-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
hillie4life
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If anything, shifting into first or second would help get into reverse better, because your engaging the 1st,2nd & reverse sliding gear. By merely going by the design of the Ax15.

But back to the original topic...
Bump

There seems to be some confusion here, BigEv isn't asking how to get by when having trouble driving his jeep into reverse... He's got two different ax15 transmissions apart on a BENCH and has noticed a discrepancy between the two and has inquired in the technical forum on how/why they are different and if he should be concerned with maintenancing one or the other while they are on the bench (not in a jeep). I'd like to know the answer to this too

"It's always something"
hillie4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

were they both run with the same gear oil ? maybe the added wear of the other makes it easier the move things around
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #12
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is this a indicator or a reverse shift fork/arm issue? Or is it just broken it and not to worry?
It's going to be hard to tell much. These trannies all seem to have their own "feel" based on rebuild and/or mileage. I just finished putting one back together tonite, and have another one torn down in the garage waiting on parts. I've rebuilt a number of these model transmissions, and they all seem to have their own way about things.
Shifting them on the bench seems to be a whole lot different than shifting them in the Jeep. I've always had them act a bit odd until the synchros are bedded in. If everything seems to bench shift okay, the spring tension on the detent springs are okay and you aren't missing any synchro keys, etc, I don't think you're going to have a problem.
I would be happy to view any vids you care to post up to illustrate your concern and make commentary. These are good transmissions, and very easy to rebuild, parts are available but for the select fit snap rings, but I've found a solution to that as well. Let me know your concerns.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

With the mega power of a carbed 4.2, the AX-15 trans will last through a few motors, not the other way around. That's as long as you know how to drive. Stop comparing the two, sell the one on the bench, and move on to whats next in life.
Unread 02-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
If everything seems to bench shift okay, the spring tension on the detent springs are okay and you aren't missing any synchro keys, etc...
Funny you should say detent springs, I noticed it I turned out the screw that holds the defend springs in on the reverse shaft, it shifts a lot smoother. But I completely swapped detention springs with other transmission and they both shift the same as before.

I don't know if this will help your conclusions...

Side note, for anyone looking to add nothing to this thread, move along please, unless you have rebuilt Ax15's in the past, I don't require your assistance.
Unread 02-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Side note, for anyone looking to add nothing to this thread, move along please, unless you have rebuilt Ax15's in the past, I don't require your assistance.
Wow. Nice. People are just trying to help you with your perceived issue.

If you have an unknown spare trans sitting in your garage. Rebuild it and put it away until the day you need it. Or sell it and rebuild yours when and if required. It's a pretty simple deal really.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.