Input on a used soft top? should i get? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Input on a used soft top? should i get?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

here is the softopper.t it has been on for a week. the softopper looks nice, and is very water proof. i left it out in the pouring rain twice already and there were no leaks that was also without the seam sealer applied, which softopper provides. ooverall the top is nice aand worth the money... the only thing is that the screws and brakcets are not perfect, the instructons are vague and require more pictures, and the metal loopto the windsheild that the center strap loops around was not included for some reason... my dad had to make me a bracket to loop the center strap around. i also found the softopper to be a PITA to install and even out properly, even though it is framless. it took me a long time to make things even. it is extremely tight... even when left out in the sun. but as i said, overall a good buy..

img_20130612_094241-2-.jpg   img_20130613_161357-2-.jpg   img_20130613_161406-2-.jpg  
Jrivv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #17
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the softopper also gives my jeep a unique look. it looks a lot different than all other jeeps around me with soft tops, which is a good thing in my opinion
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was excited to see what it looked liked, but I'm not sure i like that style top. It seems like there is just to much extra fabric..
bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

The fabric seems real heavily rippled. Apparently there is not quite the quality of fit that comes with the OEM top. I understand it was really tight but it looks like it fits poorly.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

it is not going to be the same as an OEM soft top in regards to fitting because it is frameless. a frameless top and a framed top have different fits and styles. and to the other person, it kinda does look like it has a lot of fabric, but it is not loose at all. it does not make too much noise either. no flapping noise, just typical wind hitting the soft top noise, but it is tolerable. as for the ripples, these were pictures before the sun really hit, and before i adjusted the thing a million times. the top is not perfect, but it work as it suppose to. i think the ripples will leave as more warmer weather comes in. it is brand new, so wrinkles and ripples are expected. it all does not bother me too much. i like it. the framless concept makes it easy for on and off. i recommend it if you want something more affordable that works and is a bit different. it works as a safari top too. if you have the money for framed tops or the hardware and are use to oem then just stick with framed tops. i had no hardware, and i did not feel like spending a lot of money on a framed top with hardware. i am pretty picky on looks and perfect fitting... yet i like it. it is all preferance. if i were to give it rating, it would be an 8.
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #21
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So how is the storage then? Do you completely take it out or does it fold up nice and fit behind the seat?
bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #22
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcusstc View Post
So how is the storage then? Do you completely take it out or does it fold up nice and fit behind the seat?
technically you take it off, but ypu can roll the very top up and clip it to the hooks on the rails. The top can be put up and tokken off in 5 minutes. Right now I use the top as a safari top so I am not exposed to the sun, and I have the windows rolled up and stored in my instatrunk.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #23
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well the softopper is being returned back to softopper.... thee damn thing was was too hard to fit well. It was no where as simpe as the videos. I guess I lucked out withmy softopper since others have had positive experiences. Luckily Laeey was nice enough to give methe refund. Now it's just the matter of shipping it back with UPS, getting my refund if larry keeps his word about a hassle free refujd, and buying a classic supertop with hardware. Decided a framed top would be better, and would look better with my aspen cargo nets on.
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got really lucky with my Supertop. I picked it up at an estate sale for $50, the people had no idea what is was for, they thought a boat. Two years old with the reciept in the box, complete Supertop with hardware and there was a Bikini top rolled up in there as well.
I do love the versatility of the Supertop as it works with both sets of doors I have and I can go safari style in under 5 minutes.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #25
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
I got really lucky with my Supertop. I picked it up at an estate sale for $50, the people had no idea what is was for, they thought a boat. Two years old with the reciept in the box, complete Supertop with hardware and there was a Bikini top rolled up in there as well.
I do love the versatility of the Supertop as it works with both sets of doors I have and I can go safari style in under 5 minutes.
50 was a steal. I am probably getting a sunrider, and that cost $755. The folding up of the top and access to full topless in seconds seems very convenient. The softopper would have been nice if it fit better, but even then it doesn't fold up like a supertop does. You have to take it off and roll it up.
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #26
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I couldn't believe the price when I saw it either, I kept asking if that was the price for the whole lot and they said yes.
My next top will be the NX frameless. If the YJ ones are designed anything like the one my buddy got for his JK, nice and simple.
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think since they were clueless on what it actually was,so they sold it cheap to you. You got lucky. Ha. The supertop installation looks like it is a PITA. I will have to sit dowj and read the instructions carefully. I will have to do it myself without my dads help. My dad has no patience and doesn't understand instructions, so he would most likely install something incorrectly. Let me know how the NX frameless is when you get it. I didn't even know there was an NX frameless for YJ's.
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #28
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the frameless NX for the YJ has just been released. Actually the Supertop install isn't too bad. Install all the rails, then the tubes, attach the top and done. It's actually harder to put it down than it is to install it.
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #29
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Yeah the frameless NX for the YJ has just been released. Actually the Supertop install isn't too bad. Install all the rails, then the tubes, attach the top and done. It's actually harder to put it down than it is to install it.
by put it down you mean take it the hardware off?
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #30
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No I mean just folding it down to drive around. Once you get the hang of it it does go pretty quick but a PITA to figure out from BesTops poor and incomplete directions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.