Inner door workings ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Inner door workings ?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 12-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #1
tire_smoke

Inner door workings ?

I found the problem with my driver's side door. The little latch was on the wrong side of the "wedge" latch. I moved it over to the correct side, and it worked ! After testing it a few times, it slipped over the wedge and out of place again. I know this is kinda abstract, but anyone have any solutions or experience with fixing this stuff ? I tried to bend the latch so it wouldn't keep slipping over the "wedge", but that never helped.

Is it really called a "wedge latch"?

Thanks guys.

Unread 12-15-2003, 10:23 AM   #2
renegade92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tire_smoke
I found the problem with my driver's side door. The little latch was on the wrong side of the "wedge" latch. I moved it over to the correct side, and it worked ! After testing it a few times, it slipped over the wedge and out of place again. I know this is kinda abstract, but anyone have any solutions or experience with fixing this stuff ? I tried to bend the latch so it wouldn't keep slipping over the "wedge", but that never helped.

Is it really called a "wedge latch"?

Thanks guys.
I think I could lend you a lot of help but I can't until I know the symptoms you are having. My doors have had problems from not responding to the key turning in the cylinder when I try to lock or unlock the doors to not opening when the door is unlocked and I pull on the latch from the outside. In each case I was able to solve the problem by trial and error with moving the linkages in the door. All it takes is patience with this stuff. As long as nothing has broken, there is a way to fix any door related problems.
renegade92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2003, 11:57 AM   #3
tire_smoke

Thanks, I'll tell you what's happening.

I can't open the door from the outside, the latch is just kinda limp. I have to open the inside and the outside latches at the same time when I'm getting out for the door to open. The lock seems to be working fine. Everything is attached and nothing seems to be broken, but when I pull the handle the little latch slides over the part that actuates the door. It's not catching and moving the little lever with it. It's hopping over that part. It seems out of place or worn out !
Unread 12-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tire_smoke
Thanks, I'll tell you what's happening.

I can't open the door from the outside, the latch is just kinda limp. I have to open the inside and the outside latches at the same time when I'm getting out for the door to open. The lock seems to be working fine. Everything is attached and nothing seems to be broken, but when I pull the handle the little latch slides over the part that actuates the door. It's not catching and moving the little lever with it. It's hopping over that part. It seems out of place or worn out !
I am still really confused what you are talking about, so if my advice doesn’t make since I apologize.

The only time my door handles (inside or outside) feel limp is when the rod retainers are broken. The rod retainers are the plastic pieces that attach the rods to the handles. There should be a rod that goes to both the inside handle and outside handle. Sometime the rods fall down to the bottom of the door if the retainer is broken.

Is there any way you can take a picture of the inside of the door and place arrows to the parts you are referring too?

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.