Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Inline 6 top speeds?

1K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  94YJ_FL 
#1 ·
Ok we have seen the 4 cyl topseed thread.....I wana know what top speed im looking at for the YJ Im about to get.
Michael

#5 ·
Im glad someone finally discussed this, I thtought that maybe there was something wrong with my Jeep. With 31`s and 3:07`s I could barely do 70mph. Some of this of course has to do with the Jeeps great aerodynamics though. I think I was up close to 90 one time when I had a car in front of me eon the interstate, as soon as that car moved over I was stuck doing 70 again.

#8 ·
OlllllllO Jeep1 said:
Im glad someone finally discussed this, I thtought that maybe there was something wrong with my Jeep. With 31`s and 3:07`s I could barely do 70mph. Some of this of course has to do with the Jeeps great aerodynamics though. I think I was up close to 90 one time when I had a car in front of me eon the interstate, as soon as that car moved over I was stuck doing 70 again.
Is this with a 4.0? Pretty much the same story here with 30s and a 4.2. I think I've hit about 80 once though after flooring it in 4th for long enough.

#9 ·
Tshark299 said:
Is this with a 4.0? Pretty much the same story here with 30s and a 4.2. I think I've hit about 80 once though after flooring it in 4th for long enough.
Yep it is a 4.0. Acceleration isnt one of the strong points of my Jeep. lol.

#11 ·
Well I got 35's 4.5 inches of lift and I usually dont push it past 70. I dont care to trash my rig

#12 ·
I hit 100 once in my jeep. It was stock, had a borla header and intake. I was on the freeway on a downhill. Scariest thing I ever did!

#13 ·
Mine does 70 - 80 easy on freeway.
I'm sure that 90-100 would not be out of the question.
Personally, I've always thought mine is pretty peppy.
I've surprised many a passenger by squealing the tires from a stop sign.
I'm riding on 31x10.5, don't know the diff ratio...

#14 ·
wherndon said:
Mine does 70 - 80 easy on freeway.
I'm sure that 90-100 would not be out of the question.
Personally, I've always thought mine is pretty peppy.
I've surprised many a passenger by squealing the tires from a stop sign.
I'm riding on 31x10.5, don't know the diff ratio...
I'd be willing to be that you have 3.55 as well as I do.

I've gone about 85 on the way home from when we first bought it when it was stock and that is the last time I can go that fast. I can barely do 75 right now and thats even kinda scary. Why would you want to go 100 in a Jeep? Thats just asking for it.

#15 ·
whitewrangler said:
Why would you want to go 100 in a Jeep? Thats just asking for it.
75mph is about tops for me.
Trouble is that here in Atlanta when driving the freeways, if you don't go with the flow then you get run off the road.
Everybody drives 70 - 80 and if you hold up traffic you are quite likely to get shot.
I try to stay away from the freeways...

#16 ·
I cruise the interstate 45 miles each way to work at 75 easy. 80 is no problem and there is a lot of throttle left. 31-10.5 and 3.55 gears. Get 20 mpg @ 65mph, 18 mpg @ 75 mph in the summer. Both numbers drop about 2 mpg in the winter due to the cold and blended gas.

#17 ·
whitewrangler said:
Why would you want to go 100 in a Jeep? Thats just asking for it.
Well I was on my way back from college, 5 hour drive. I got to a straight section and just decided to see what it could do. I wasn't at 100 for very long. I would never do it again. But it was the last time I was going to have the jeep stock, and there's no way in hell I would go that fast with it lifted.

#18 ·
I have stock tranny, engine. I have 32x11.5 bfg's, 3.5 suspension lift, <2" BL and some sort of shackle lift, again <2". I'm able to comfortably hit 65 on my speedo (which I think is a bit slower than actual) 70 is a little tougher but doable. I also have the stock automatic. I'll have the head swap done by end of January, hopefully. I should get a bit more out of it. Dave

#19 ·
I got a ticket once for pulling my boat (18 foot jet boat, not very heavy) at 75. Didn't think the Jeep would go that fast without the boat, as fate would have it my speedo was off by about 10mph, I thought I was doing 65 (which would have been a ticket anyhow since vehicles with trailers are limited to 55 speed limit). 88 4.2 with a header, high flow cat and exhaust, 30 inch tires and 3.55 gearing.

#20 ·
I have 36" IROKS with 4.86 gearing and can *easily* run 80mph with traffic on the freeway. I know I could go faster, but 80mph is the upper level of the comfort zone... plenty left though like a few said above.

Also, at 80mph, I can still accelerate up inclines in 5th.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.