Increasing cooling system capacity - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
shinigami
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Laders Ranch
Posts: 615
Increasing cooling system capacity

I had a wild idea that i need opinions on.

I currently have a 357ci v8 under my hood with a 3 core 4.0 radiator and mercury MK VIII E-fan taking the heat load.
During normal driving my temp gauge normally reads a healthy 190*. however when towing or constantly going up large hills my coolant exceeds 210* to the point of over boiling.

I was thinking of getting a small air tank of about 2 gallons and mounting it under the body out of the way to run coolant through and to increase the cooling system capacity and hopefully solving this issue, possibly getting a small oil cooler out of the junk yard to mount inline on the frame. all of this running off of the heater lines since I am not running a heater at all.

Would this work or is there any better ways with out a radiator swap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmathis3 View Post
lots of hair pulling, tool throwing, beer drinking, swearing, and eventualy it will start. haha good luck.
I LOL'd
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
shinigami is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 18,157
Garage
turning on the heater makes a pretty big difference if you're running a little hot but of course you start sweating bullets. I have considered adding an extra heater core under the battery tray with some sort of fan. Maybe cut a hole thru the side of the fender to exhust the air.

An engine oil cooler is a nice add on as well.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan
 
Luuca's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corona
Posts: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
turning on the heater makes a pretty big difference if you're running a little hot but of course you start sweating bullets. I have considered adding an extra heater core under the battery tray with some sort of fan. Maybe cut a hole thru the side of the fender to exhust the air.

An engine oil cooler is a nice add on as well.
Is the electric fan you have a 2-stage fan? High and a Low or a constant speed? Having an option to increase the fan speed may help some.

I like the idea of an oil cooler as well. Usually you can find kits that have everything you need and that will increase your oil cooling and oil capacity (somewhat) as well.

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 w/HnT Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 Aussie Lockers F/R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
Luuca is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
shinigami
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Laders Ranch
Posts: 615
its a 2 stage fan. I do plan on adding an oil cooler in the future but my thought is that the motor was designed to have a 17.5qt cooling system and right now is at about a 13qt system so adding the extra capacity will bring it up to the motors standards a bit more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmathis3 View Post
lots of hair pulling, tool throwing, beer drinking, swearing, and eventualy it will start. haha good luck.
I LOL'd
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
shinigami is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 PM
SuperMidget
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cabot
Posts: 35
Is your fan a single or dual fans? A good aluminum radiator and efan setup should be more than enough to cool it
SuperMidget is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Louie4
Jeep Enjuneering
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 10,821
I'm no expert but I don't see how adding a reservoir inline will help. It seems like the coolant will just heat up and sit there. The heat needs to be removed from some sort of heat exchanger (radiator, heater core). Larger radiators with more cores increases capacity and surface area which will dissipate more heat.

I like jbolty's idea of adding an additional heater core with a small fan. I've seen a Cherokee that mounted a heater core and small fan on the hood. You could also add louvers around the engine compartment too.

Just my 2 cents though.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Louie4 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami View Post
I had a wild idea that i need opinions on.

I currently have a 357ci v8 under my hood with a 3 core 4.0 radiator and mercury MK VIII E-fan taking the heat load.
During normal driving my temp gauge normally reads a healthy 190*. however when towing or constantly going up large hills my coolant exceeds 210* to the point of over boiling.

I was thinking of getting a small air tank of about 2 gallons and mounting it under the body out of the way to run coolant through and to increase the cooling system capacity and hopefully solving this issue, possibly getting a small oil cooler out of the junk yard to mount inline on the frame. all of this running off of the heater lines since I am not running a heater at all.

Would this work or is there any better ways with out a radiator swap?
Your V-8 obviously needs more cooling capacity then you are providing using a stock 4.0 radiator. Why don't you add the external oil cooler to cool the oil? That will bring engine temperatures down also.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 9,506
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami View Post
its a 2 stage fan. I do plan on adding an oil cooler in the future but my thought is that the motor was designed to have a 17.5qt cooling system and right now is at about a 13qt system so adding the extra capacity will bring it up to the motors standards a bit more

Well there is your issue ! Get a Radiator designed for V8 swaps

'89 YJ The Smurf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 XJ Black Betty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tom95YJ is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 07:59 PM
95YamJam
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 220
Does this have an auto trans? If so are the trans cooler lines using the rad for cooling? I would bet that where your extra heat is coming from if this is the case. If not then..... Bigger rad/make sure your rad is clean. I had a ton of mud packed in mine and it ran a bit warm.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/95-yam-project-1527472/?highlight=
95YamJam is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 PM
jay-h
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I'm no expert but I don't see how adding a reservoir inline will help. It seems like the coolant will just heat up and sit there. ....
You are correct. Increasing the coolant will only help marginally (take a little longer to overheat).

What is needed is cooling capacity. Larger radiator, better fan (less effective because at speed the fan is not doing much anyhow). Cooling the oil is CERTAINLY a good thing, but larger radiator is the only way out of this one.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon
Posts: 20,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Well there is your issue ! Get a Radiator designed for V8 swaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
turning on the heater makes a pretty big difference if you're running a little hot but of course you start sweating bullets. I have considered adding an extra heater core under the battery tray with some sort of fan. Maybe cut a hole thru the side of the fender to exhust the air.

An engine oil cooler is a nice add on as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YamJam View Post
Does this have an auto trans? If so are the trans cooler lines using the rad for cooling? I would bet that where your extra heat is coming from if this is the case. If not then..... Bigger rad/make sure your rad is clean. I had a ton of mud packed in mine and it ran a bit warm.
Do some reading on the three quotes.

Luck Favours The Prepared
Anticanman is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
shinigami
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Laders Ranch
Posts: 615
Radiator barn had this radiator I have as the same dimensions and cores as the v8 swap radiator except for hose placements for chevy, my ford motor needs the stock hose placements. I will add a oil cooler when funds allow, I rarely get to the point of overheating except when under alot of load, so hope it works. no, I have a manual but the radiator has a trans cooler built in I use for power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmathis3 View Post
lots of hair pulling, tool throwing, beer drinking, swearing, and eventualy it will start. haha good luck.
I LOL'd
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
shinigami is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 10:34 PM
czjeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Woodland
Posts: 1,506
I had the same problem until I went with a nice big aluminum radiator.
Many of the "V8 swap" radiators are the 4.0 radiator with the necks modified. They don't work right a lot of the time.

US Army combat vet
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
czjeeper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome