Increasing cooling system capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Increasing cooling system capacity

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
shinigami
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Increasing cooling system capacity

I had a wild idea that i need opinions on.

I currently have a 357ci v8 under my hood with a 3 core 4.0 radiator and mercury MK VIII E-fan taking the heat load.
During normal driving my temp gauge normally reads a healthy 190*. however when towing or constantly going up large hills my coolant exceeds 210* to the point of over boiling.

I was thinking of getting a small air tank of about 2 gallons and mounting it under the body out of the way to run coolant through and to increase the cooling system capacity and hopefully solving this issue, possibly getting a small oil cooler out of the junk yard to mount inline on the frame. all of this running off of the heater lines since I am not running a heater at all.

Would this work or is there any better ways with out a radiator swap?

I LOL'd
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

turning on the heater makes a pretty big difference if you're running a little hot but of course you start sweating bullets. I have considered adding an extra heater core under the battery tray with some sort of fan. Maybe cut a hole thru the side of the fender to exhust the air.

An engine oil cooler is a nice add on as well.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
turning on the heater makes a pretty big difference if you're running a little hot but of course you start sweating bullets. I have considered adding an extra heater core under the battery tray with some sort of fan. Maybe cut a hole thru the side of the fender to exhust the air.

Is the electric fan you have a 2-stage fan? High and a Low or a constant speed? Having an option to increase the fan speed may help some.

I like the idea of an oil cooler as well. Usually you can find kits that have everything you need and that will increase your oil cooling and oil capacity (somewhat) as well.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
shinigami
1991 YJ Wrangler 

its a 2 stage fan. I do plan on adding an oil cooler in the future but my thought is that the motor was designed to have a 17.5qt cooling system and right now is at about a 13qt system so adding the extra capacity will bring it up to the motors standards a bit more
I LOL'd
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
SuperMidget

Is your fan a single or dual fans? A good aluminum radiator and efan setup should be more than enough to cool it
SuperMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm no expert but I don't see how adding a reservoir inline will help. It seems like the coolant will just heat up and sit there. The heat needs to be removed from some sort of heat exchanger (radiator, heater core). Larger radiators with more cores increases capacity and surface area which will dissipate more heat.

I like jbolty's idea of adding an additional heater core with a small fan. I've seen a Cherokee that mounted a heater core and small fan on the hood. You could also add louvers around the engine compartment too.

Just my 2 cents though.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami View Post
I had a wild idea that i need opinions on.

I currently have a 357ci v8 under my hood with a 3 core 4.0 radiator and mercury MK VIII E-fan taking the heat load.
During normal driving my temp gauge normally reads a healthy 190*. however when towing or constantly going up large hills my coolant exceeds 210* to the point of over boiling.

I was thinking of getting a small air tank of about 2 gallons and mounting it under the body out of the way to run coolant through and to increase the cooling system capacity and hopefully solving this issue, possibly getting a small oil cooler out of the junk yard to mount inline on the frame. all of this running off of the heater lines since I am not running a heater at all.

Would this work or is there any better ways with out a radiator swap?
Your V-8 obviously needs more cooling capacity then you are providing using a stock 4.0 radiator. Why don't you add the external oil cooler to cool the oil? That will bring engine temperatures down also.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami View Post
its a 2 stage fan. I do plan on adding an oil cooler in the future but my thought is that the motor was designed to have a 17.5qt cooling system and right now is at about a 13qt system so adding the extra capacity will bring it up to the motors standards a bit more

Well there is your issue ! Get a Radiator designed for V8 swaps
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does this have an auto trans? If so are the trans cooler lines using the rad for cooling? I would bet that where your extra heat is coming from if this is the case. If not then..... Bigger rad/make sure your rad is clean. I had a ton of mud packed in mine and it ran a bit warm.
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I'm no expert but I don't see how adding a reservoir inline will help. It seems like the coolant will just heat up and sit there. ....
You are correct. Increasing the coolant will only help marginally (take a little longer to overheat).

What is needed is cooling capacity. Larger radiator, better fan (less effective because at speed the fan is not doing much anyhow). Cooling the oil is CERTAINLY a good thing, but larger radiator is the only way out of this one.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Well there is your issue ! Get a Radiator designed for V8 swaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YamJam View Post
Does this have an auto trans? If so are the trans cooler lines using the rad for cooling? I would bet that where your extra heat is coming from if this is the case. If not then..... Bigger rad/make sure your rad is clean. I had a ton of mud packed in mine and it ran a bit warm.
Do some reading on the three quotes.
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
shinigami
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Radiator barn had this radiator I have as the same dimensions and cores as the v8 swap radiator except for hose placements for chevy, my ford motor needs the stock hose placements. I will add a oil cooler when funds allow, I rarely get to the point of overheating except when under alot of load, so hope it works. no, I have a manual but the radiator has a trans cooler built in I use for power steering.
I LOL'd
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem until I went with a nice big aluminum radiator.
Many of the "V8 swap" radiators are the 4.0 radiator with the necks modified. They don't work right a lot of the time.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.