increase towing capacity - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > increase towing capacity

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #46
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Someone's not being a bigger man here.

Arguing on the Internet is really stupid. There is a saying about the special Olympics but ill keep it politically correct.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance
Michaelgoesrawr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #47
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
Someone's not being a bigger man here.

Arguing on the Internet is really stupid. There is a saying about the special Olympics but ill keep it politically correct.
Amen brother!

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #48
Chrisnvegas
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From the Jeep owners manual, page 81: "Towing over 2000 lbs is not recommended" It doesn't say illegal, forbidden ect.

Your trailer is 2300lbs. 300 lbs is not that far off.

Go enjoy you boat, and as with all vehicles towing, watch your distances and use care.

If it's an automatic think about adding an extra cooler. Manual? try not to slip your clutch too much on the ramp.

Happy Towing.
92 Sahara, 4.0 auto, OME, Bilstein, booms, 4:10's need bigger tires...
Chrisnvegas is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #49
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RstyXJ96 View Post
Pasinbuy, really? This seems a bit unnecessary in this post. If you don't agree with the guy, or fell that he was rude to you that's fine. Do you really feel the need to prove something by posting that stuff here? Rear departure is the angle at which you can clear with the rear end, but doesn't your fuel tank hang below the rear crossmember anyway? As far as him lying do you have pictures of his rig that you can use to prove otherwise? As the accusing party the burden of proof is on you. I went and measured on my rig and I have 2" between the fuel tank and the frame rails, so it's very well possible that a home built unit could fit in there. You seem to want to pick a fight with the guy and no one else seems to care man, let go of it. I have also seen where you have attacked him on another post about some seat sliders, I did ask him about that personally, he said that his comment stands because as far as he knew the only difference in the sliders was possible because the bases were changed. Rather than be outraged about something meaningless, try reading everything in the postings before blasting off at the mouth.
Now measure between the spring bolts and the fuel tank skid plate. Look at where your tailpipe sits. There is very little room, and not enough for a receiver as xj93 states that he has.

I stand by what I stated. If anyone outright lies in this forum about what they have they should be called on it. I understand mistakes happen, I have made a few myself. There is no room for liars in this forum!

xj93 just plain lied about what he has installed on his rig, and then attacked me yelling and screaming in print. I did not catch his lies until he started the harassment. I thought I was easy on him. I did not call him on all of the lies. Would you like me to list them all?

I did not attack him on the slider post. I just pointed out that he did not read the post correctly. His post had nothing to do with the question. Try reading it: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...usion-1023862/

We all have opinions... xj93 lied. No room for that type, lies can hurt others that do not know.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #50
RstyXJ96
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That assumes he has stock location for his exhaust. As I said you could do a homemade job and make it to fit. Isn't that kind of a mantra around here "You can make anything fit with a welder and a hammer"? As far as harassment, I have seen the messages you guys sent back and forth. You contacted him first, belittled him, insulted him, cursed at him, and continued the contact after he told you to stop. That's all I can say on that matter. I really think the both of you need to cool off and just leave things as they are and just mind yourselves. That may be the best course of action here.. Honestly I feel like I am still working in a prison here.
RstyXJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #51
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RstyXJ96 View Post
That assumes he has stock location for his exhaust. As I said you could do a homemade job and make it to fit. Isn't that kind of a mantra around here "You can make anything fit with a welder and a hammer"? As far as harassment, I have seen the messages you guys sent back and forth. You contacted him first, belittled him, insulted him, cursed at him, and continued the contact after he told you to stop. That's all I can say on that matter. I really think the both of you need to cool off and just leave things as they are and just mind yourselves. That may be the best course of action here.. Honestly I feel like I am still working in a prison here.
Huh? Did he pound the fuel tank over or the frame? Why are you defending someone that lies?
If it is not a lie post a picture and prove me wrong.

You are the one keeping this going.

Prison?

I made my point. xj93 lied. I am done with this!
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #52
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Trying to pull this back on topic: this is my trailer combination. By driving defensively and being aware of other drivers, you should have no problems. Mine pulls, stops, and tracks pretty much as well as any other loaded, but well balanced load.
jeep-202-800x450-.jpg

Unread 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #53
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140mower
Trying to pull this back on topic: this is my trailer combination. By driving defensively and being aware of other drivers, you should have no problems. Mine pulls, stops, and tracks pretty much as well as any other loaded, but well balanced load.
I love the outboard on the front. Lol add a couple 45gallon barrels and she might be amphibious.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #54
Chrisnvegas
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks perfectly safe... and fun!
92 Sahara, 4.0 auto, OME, Bilstein, booms, 4:10's need bigger tires...
Chrisnvegas is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #55
RstyXJ96
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That is traveling in style right there. Nice set up, and I agree with the defensive driving and watching everything you can.
RstyXJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #56
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OP if you are worried about weight and the hitch holding up, here are 2 options.

A class 3 hitch: The hidden hitch is a class 3 rated hitch. Does it hang down low? Yes, but I have wheeled with it plenty of times. It is is bolted down with 6 grade 8 bolts. (2) each side of the frame, (2) bottom of frame, (2) crossmember. I had it, it works.

Weld: Remove your crossmember and weld in a 2X4-3/16" tube. Cut a hole in the tube and weld your reciever to both sides. Dont forget to put a peice of angle iron on the tube to hold your gas tank, as well as burn on some plates for your body mounts.

IROCK build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/i...hread-1488489/
87TPIYJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #57
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

eww eww eww I want to play!

Go ahead and tow with extra caution. Personally I would get a trailer with or add brakes to the existing trailer. Make sure the tongue wieght is no more or less than a couple of hudred lbs.
Be careful and have fun.

Oh yeah also make damn sure your E brake works 100%. You wouldn't want the whole thing to roll back into the water when you get out

vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #58
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you want a eventful afternoon. Go to your local boat ramp. Set up a chair and a cooler and watch!

Mistakes happen and it is interesting how people handle it.
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #59
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, but that gives good access to the cooler in the trunk with-out the hassle of having to unload at the launch, it also cuts down on the walk back to the trailer after a long day on the water. The car also doubles as a crab/prawn trap when used this way, just be sure to leave one window partly open.
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #60
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the boat ramp is a hilarious place to sit and watch people. new boat owners could win America's funniest home videos if people would go record them.

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.