increase towing capacity - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > increase towing capacity

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #31
Fuzzy_Wuzzy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am with the do not tow more than you Jeep is rated for crowed, but they do offer actual hitches that attach to the frame:

http://www.amazon.com/eCustomhitch-T...r+hidden+hitch

I have seen them cheaper than this but you can see it wraps around to bolt to the side of the frame and to the underside of the frame as well as the cross member.

If you are going to attach to the cross member they do make bumper cross member re-enforcements:

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....0#.UhViHz9h9ck

These will at least tie the outside holes to the frame better.

I am planning on building a new bumper with a receiver in it, and between picking up the bolt holes on the bottom of the frame and the cross member tie-in plates (I will look at the cross member welds to the frame and add to that as necessary) and think that should be ok for small around town towing jobs.

Fuzzy_Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #32
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pasinby my intention was not to yell, as I have seen on plenty of other postings within this forum, bolding is the best way to highlight something. It was apparent to me that you were just not understanding what I was saying about frame attachment vs. cross member attachment. I apologize if you felt that way, but I did get my point across despite whatever internet protocol you feel I violated.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #33
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Pasinby my intention was not to yell, as I have seen on plenty of other postings within this forum, bolding is the best way to highlight something. It was apparent to me that you were just not understanding what I was saying about frame attachment vs. cross member attachment. I apologize if you felt that way, but I did get my point across despite whatever internet protocol you feel I violated.
You are wrong. I fully understood what you were saying. Yelling got you nowhere! All I did was ask for a picture and you got upset.

Bolding and caps is screaming. Do not do it again!
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #34
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy View Post
I am with the do not tow more than you Jeep is rated for crowed, but they do offer actual hitches that attach to the frame:

http://www.amazon.com/eCustomhitch-T...r+hidden+hitch

I have seen them cheaper than this but you can see it wraps around to bolt to the side of the frame and to the underside of the frame as well as the cross member.

If you are going to attach to the cross member they do make bumper cross member re-enforcements:

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....0#.UhViHz9h9ck

These will at least tie the outside holes to the frame better.

I am planning on building a new bumper with a receiver in it, and between picking up the bolt holes on the bottom of the frame and the cross member tie-in plates (I will look at the cross member welds to the frame and add to that as necessary) and think that should be ok for small around town towing jobs.
Thank you for the links. The receiver that attaches to the frame looks a little weak to me. Two bolts total, one to the frame rai, the other to the cross member, and they say it is rated at 3500 lbs. I wonder about that? Also from the picture the receiver mounted to the frame is pretty low and under the cross member. That cannot be good since we are trying to raise our rigs for better ground clearance.

The rear frame tie in brackets look great and may be what I could use. Thanks again for the link.
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey pasinbuy chill out, you feel I yelled, yet you kept asking what I meant by my comment on mounting. Seemed to me you didn't understand, and by the way you have no authority to tell me what not to do or otherwise, we are all on this forum to help each other out, and pictures of my set up do not help the o.p. with his question so there is no need for me to post any. As far as ground clearance being a little below the cross member does nothing for ground clearance, just rear departure. Your ground clearance is measured at the lowest point of the vehicle which will always be the differential housing.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #36
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

whoa guys, why don't ya'll move that part of the conversation to the private messages. its not needed in the tech section.
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj
whoa guys, why don't ya'll move that part of the conversation to the private messages. its not needed in the tech section.
I don't know. Good entertainment watching grown men argue on the Internet.
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #38
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My hitch is a custom made one. So far it's hauled a full jeep on a dual axle trailer. I have no idea what the trailer weighed. Borrowed it from a friend. Mine ties into the two holes on the bottom of the frame rails and to this crossmember on the back where the stock bumperettes went. It hauled it just fine. Of course the brakes were not as responsive, but as anyone with common sense, I braked earlier than normal. And I kept off highways as I didn't want to give my old jeep a heart attack. If you are careful and stay legal, then go ahead and do it.
As for the arguing, lets just crack a beer and take it easy. Some wires were crossed, the op is getting nothing from any of this. Yes, some people have their differences. But I agree with above, take it to pm if you are not going to help.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
image-3227903946.jpg

[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #39
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey pasinbuy chill out, you feel I yelled, yet you kept asking what I meant by my comment on mounting. Seemed to me you didn't understand, and by the way you have no authority to tell me what not to do or otherwise, we are all on this forum to help each other out, and pictures of my set up do not help the o.p. with his question so there is no need for me to post any. As far as ground clearance being a little below the cross member does nothing for ground clearance, just rear departure. Your ground clearance is measured at the lowest point of the vehicle which will always be the differential housing. Not true, what wheels go over the back has to clear.
It appears that all you want to do is argue. You do not want to post pictures and you do not know what you are talking about. I have no time for people like you. Keep your attitude to yourself.
Now that you know what yelling is, please stop it.

You place a very bad tone on the thread. I apologize to the OP.
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #40
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just like the rest here I have towed and haven't had issues. Stopping is always the biggest variable but with a manual trans you have at least some advantage in downshifting to slow down faster in case of emergency. Just 5 miles is nothing but most people just want to get around the guy with the trailer so be careful
mzimerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #41
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimerf
Just like the rest here I have towed and haven't had issues. Stopping is always the biggest variable but with a manual trans you have at least some advantage in downshifting to slow down faster in case of emergency. Just 5 miles is nothing but most people just want to get around the guy with the trailer so be careful
I'm my opinion, this is 100% accurate!

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #42
Fuzzy_Wuzzy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Thank you for the links. The receiver that attaches to the frame looks a little weak to me. Two bolts total, one to the frame rai, the other to the cross member, and they say it is rated at 3500 lbs. I wonder about that? Also from the picture the receiver mounted to the frame is pretty low and under the cross member. That cannot be good since we are trying to raise our rigs for better ground clearance.

The rear frame tie in brackets look great and may be what I could use. Thanks again for the link.
It has 6 bolts total, 2 to the sides of the frame, 2 to the bottom of the frame and 2 to the cross-member.

It does hang low and drags on a lot... Part of the reason there is a pile of steel in my garage waiting to become a new bumper/hitch that sits much higher. But for $50 used it made a great make shift way to move my trailer around. and for those with similar needs, it works as a hitch...
Fuzzy_Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #43
glturner39
1993 YJ Wrangler 

On my 1993 we have a tow hitch that mounts to the frame under the bottom and to the cross member. Not saying you should tow a camper behind it, but for a boat or a utility trailer filled with equipment it does just fine. I'd just be careful to make sure that I wasn't towing more than my vehicle weighs and of course plan on taking it slow and allowing extra room for stopping. Both of which are required with my F150.
glturner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #44
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pasinbuy, my receiver does not attach to the rear cross member, which is not frame it's a cross member which is thinner material. My receiver actually bolts to the frame rails via 6 grade 8 bolts on either side, the way it should be done. What you call a "bumper ball" is the type seen on pickup trucks, which I have never seen on a YJ.
Six bolts on either side of his receiver, where is the room for the receiver? Here the cross member is not a part of the frame.

Quote:
Yes the rear cross is PART of the frame, but is not in any way preferable to mount anything to. I can't take pictures of my set up as it's all up in the frame, kinda hard to take pictures of it without dropping the tank, and I am not doing that for some pics. I can tell you, again, that my hitch is BOLTED TO THE FRAME RAILS VIA 6 GRADE 8 BOLTS ON EITHER SIDE. Not sure how much more plain I can say that.
Now the crossmember is a part of the frame and he starts yelling and screaming at me with caps and bold print. He is telling us the receiver is between the frame and gas tank and later states this to me. This guy does not even have a receiver on his rig. There is no way a Yj receiver first off has six bolts on both sides. Six bolts would have to be at least a foot plus up the frame. After looking at my rig. There is no way a receiver will fit between the frame and the gas tank. The tailpipe and the spring bolts stop that from happening. Plus there is very little room between the frame and the gas tank for anything to fit..

Quote:
As far as ground clearance being a little below the cross member does nothing for ground clearance, just rear departure. Your ground clearance is measured at the lowest point of the vehicle which will always be the differential housing.
When I mention ground clearance this guy tries to tell us that ground clearance is measured at the differential housing. I guess all the people that lifted their rig are wrong and need to instead place 100 inch tires for proper ground clearance.

What is rear departure? What does he mean by the crossmember does nothing for ground clearance?

This guy xj93 insulted the heck out of me in this thread. Then stated it is his right. He lied about having a receiver, about it being attached with 6 grade 8s on both, sides, and about it being mounted between the frame and gas tank. This is why he could not post a picture.

I normally just let people like this slide but in this case he lied to all of us, then went on to yell and insult me. I will from now on watch anything xj93 has to state.
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #45
RstyXJ96
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pasinbuy, really? This seems a bit unnecessary in this post. If you don't agree with the guy, or fell that he was rude to you that's fine. Do you really feel the need to prove something by posting that stuff here? Rear departure is the angle at which you can clear with the rear end, but doesn't your fuel tank hang below the rear crossmember anyway? As far as him lying do you have pictures of his rig that you can use to prove otherwise? As the accusing party the burden of proof is on you. I went and measured on my rig and I have 2" between the fuel tank and the frame rails, so it's very well possible that a home built unit could fit in there. You seem to want to pick a fight with the guy and no one else seems to care man, let go of it. I have also seen where you have attacked him on another post about some seat sliders, I did ask him about that personally, he said that his comment stands because as far as he knew the only difference in the sliders was possible because the bases were changed. Rather than be outraged about something meaningless, try reading everything in the postings before blasting off at the mouth.
RstyXJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.