increase towing capacity - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > increase towing capacity

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
sdillinger
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
A 2000# tow rated hitch adds that much to the GVWR.
Kind of. Your GVWR calculation needs to consider the tongue weight though. The weight on the trailer axles is not included in GVWR. The GCWR does include the weight your pulling, which I can't seem to find for the YJ. It may be limited by your license plate type?? Maybe someone can clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140mower View Post
You will be breaking the law, but probably not as bad as the Kid texting behind the wheel or the soccer mom putting on make-up. or the fellow heading home after a few beers from the bar. Pick your poison, we all break laws to some degree.
I totally agree. I speed every day on my way home from work. I just didn't want anyone to think that putting 1 ton axles and brakes on their YJ was going to make it legal to pull a 5,000 LB trailer.

It's a calculated risk you may be willing to take. I just don't want to be the person that gets into a crash that's 100% not my fault, but have an insurance company refuse the claim because I was legally overweight.

Unread 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pasinbuy, first I have never seen a "bumper ball" on a YJ, secondly I am not sure what kind of hitch you have, if it mounts to the rear crossmember I have no doubts that it is a hairy job to tow. My hitch mounts to the frame, and I have pulled 1500# without issue. I drive slower, pay way more attention to the roads and other drivers. I also replace my brakes well before they need it so I have no issues with that. I would hope the o.p. also does frequent maintenance on his brakes.
I am talking about the ball that is mounted to the bumper that is really not designed to tow and comes with a warning concerning it. Why bumpers have the ball attached is a mystery to me. The only safe way to tow is with a separate receiver on all vehicles.

Second the cross member is the frame and what my hitch receiver is attached to. I would have to guess that is where your receiver is attached also. Or post a picture I would like to see how you may have attached your receiver.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #18
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's a calculated risk you may be willing to take. I just don't want to be the person that gets into a crash that's 100% not my fault, but have an insurance company refuse the claim because I was legally overweight.
My experiences with the insurance companies has been that of getting screwed no matter what the cause or reason, they can afford way better lawyers than I can and are willing to do most anything to escape payment. I hate to say it, but if you're breaking any law or even bordering close to it, a good lawyer's going to shred both you and your wallet, sad but true. Politicians, lawyers, and insurance agents all fall into the same category in my mind and we used to scrape that out of the cow barns and into a pit back on the farm.
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

preach on brother, preach on /\
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My experiences with the insurance companies has been that of getting screwed no matter what the cause or reason, they can afford way better lawyers than I can and are willing to do most anything to escape payment.
So true, but that is because too many roll over for these scum, after 6 years through the ringer the court of appeals ordered "flo" to write me a 7 figure check, I had better lawyers, but even more, I was right.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My experiences with the insurance companies has been that of getting screwed no matter what the cause or reason, they can afford way better lawyers than I can and are willing to do most anything to escape payment. I hate to say it, but if you're breaking any law or even bordering close to it, a good lawyer's going to shred both you and your wallet, sad but true. Politicians, lawyers, and insurance agents all fall into the same category in my mind and we used to scrape that out of the cow barns and into a pit back on the farm.
You are so right. We are all screwed!
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Pasinbuy, my receiver does not attach to the rear cross member, which is not frame it's a cross member which is thinner material. My receiver actually bolts to the frame rails via 6 grade 8 bolts on either side, the way it should be done. What you call a "bumper ball" is the type seen on pickup trucks, which I have never seen on a YJ.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pasinbuy, my receiver does not attach to the rear cross member, which is not frame it's a cross member which is thinner material. My receiver actually bolts to the frame rails via 6 grade 8 bolts on either side, the way it should be done. What you call a "bumper ball" is the type seen on pickup trucks, which I have never seen on a YJ.
Here is one of many receiver bumpers http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-T...FWho7AodkzUAng This is what I was referring to, I may not have explained it the right way.

I have not noticed where a Yj had the receiver bolted to the side frame rails. Show me a picture of your setup.

Fyi; Your rear cross member is part of your frame. Yes it is thinner on our Yj that is why I beefed up mine to be more comfortable towing.
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Yes the rear cross is PART of the frame, but is not in any way preferable to mount anything to. I can't take pictures of my set up as it's all up in the frame, kinda hard to take pictures of it without dropping the tank, and I am not doing that for some pics. I can tell you, again, that my hitch is BOLTED TO THE FRAME RAILS VIA 6 GRADE 8 BOLTS ON EITHER SIDE. Not sure how much more plain I can say that.
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Besides, every single outlet that sells receiver bumpers say none of them are tow rated. You should do research and contact the manufacturer themselves and ask about tow rating. Even the cheap Smittybilt bumper is tow rated for 2000# towing with a 300# tongue weight.
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #26
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I dont even trust the stock crossmember to hold a plain bumper. Even if you bolt some sort of plate to it, it is still a thin peice of metal butt welded to the frame.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes the rear cross is PART of the frame, but is not in any way preferable to mount anything to. I can't take pictures of my set up as it's all up in the frame, kinda hard to take pictures of it without dropping the tank, and I am not doing that for some pics. I can tell you, again, that my hitch is BOLTED TO THE FRAME RAILS VIA 6 GRADE 8 BOLTS ON EITHER SIDE. Not sure how much more plain I can say that.

Not a problem.

You do know that writing is caps is yelling and bolding your print is screaming? I do not see how you can mount a receiver to the frame rails. That said, please do not yell at me again. I have no intention to reply to you.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a picture of my rear cross member showing that I welded a 3/16 piece of steel to it . I templated the rear cross member with cardboard and took it to a welder who made the piece for me at a cost of $45.00. I then attached it by welding it in all the way around. You can also see in the picture the thickness of my hitch receiver that is a separate part from my bumper. With eight grade 8 bolts to the cross member/frame.
jeep-showing-3-16-frame-plate-medium-.jpg  
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #29
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did that plate get welded to the frame as well?

The issue is the crossmember is only welded in a small spot on either side of the frame. About a 1.5in strip on either side. I had a spare tire carrier with a 35in tire and a hi lift and gascan and after a few months the welds were cracked on one side.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #30
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
Did that plate get welded to the frame as well?

The issue is the crossmember is only welded in a small spot on either side of the frame. About a 1.5in strip on either side. I had a spare tire carrier with a 35in tire and a hi lift and gascan and after a few months the welds were cracked on one side.
I looked at mine and I thought it looked pretty good. (Back then.) I will have to recheck it to see if I should do some added bracing.

Thanks for the heads up.

I do little to no towing with my Yj. I have a 1 ton, V10 for that. As stated towing with the Yj is dangerous. Our brakes suck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.