increase towing capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > increase towing capacity

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
barondog
1995 YJ Wrangler 

increase towing capacity

i have a 95 YJ 4cyl 5spd. i want to tow a boat with it. normally we use my wifes suv, but when she is out of town i can't use my boat. i know there is no capacity rating for this jeep. what can be done to ensure safe towing of the boat? i am only 5 miles from the landing and the boat is 2300lbs including the trailer.

barondog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

bigger brakes perhaps, but honestly I think your Jeep can tow that boat 5 miles without any issues. Just take it slow and easy.
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

My 95 is tow rated for 2000#, but it has the 4.0 with an automatic. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at 5 miles, like bogle said, take it easy.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

We used to tow our 19 foot ski with an air cooled vw transporter with a 1.8 litre engine. We towed it four hours each way. I think if the vw could do it, the yj can do it
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barondog View Post
i have a 95 YJ 4cyl 5spd. i want to tow a boat with it. normally we use my wifes suv, but when she is out of town i can't use my boat. i know there is no capacity rating for this jeep. what can be done to ensure safe towing of the boat? i am only 5 miles from the landing and the boat is 2300lbs including the trailer.

Everyone is stating to go ahead and tow it. They do not know what they are talking about, no offence to anyone.

Your brakes cannot handle another 2300 pounds. If someone stops in front of you fast, you will slide into them.

My 6 cylinder labors with 2000 lbs. Your 4cyl will be much worse.

If you have a bumper ball it is only rated at a few hundred pounds. If you have a separate receiver like I do, then take a look at how thick your rear cross member is. I welded a 1/4 piece of steel across the rear cross member because it is so thin.

Do what you want but my advise is do not pull anything. If you do and I have. It will be one hairy ride.

Edit: I just noticed that you are in S.C. which is a little hilly. I was speaking of experience on flat roads. Add in hilly roads and forget it....
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Pasinbuy, first I have never seen a "bumper ball" on a YJ, secondly I am not sure what kind of hitch you have, if it mounts to the rear crossmember I have no doubts that it is a hairy job to tow. My hitch mounts to the frame, and I have pulled 1500# without issue. I drive slower, pay way more attention to the roads and other drivers. I also replace my brakes well before they need it so I have no issues with that. I would hope the o.p. also does frequent maintenance on his brakes.
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have towed my jet ski around 400 miles round trip. 2.5l 5spd on 30 inch tires.

Not the best comparison, but it did fine.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I flat towed a 4-5k pound late 70s ford truck with a tow bar 10miles. Granted I have 4wheel 3/4ton discs and a longer wheelbase. But still the 4cly. Nobody died. It wasnt hairy.
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have pulled a 18 foot v6 boat with my 95 4.0 automatic to and from the local lake about 12 miles away. The Jeep can do it, it sure is a scary ride. Getting the darn thing to stop in a hurry is almost impossible. I would not advise it but I have done it. If it auto think of adding an aux tranny cooler.
bill8bud is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
sdillinger
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Regardless of your modifications, if you are exceeding your 4300 GVWR, it's illegal. If there is a crash with lawyers involved, you're in trouble.
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

A 2000# tow rated hitch adds that much to the GVWR.
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdillinger View Post
Regardless of your modifications, if you are exceeding your 4300 GVWR, it's illegal. If there is a crash with lawyers involved, you're in trouble.
Anytime you add a lawyer its trouble.
haha
bill8bud is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #13
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to get flamed for this again, but, our Jeeps are rated for 2000lbs towing. I take that as being your average utility type trailer, but with a decent hitch on the Jeep.
I routinely pull our 2500lb travel trailer with my Jeep and to do so I added a hidden hitch (bolts to frame not just the cross member) added an electric brake controller, and run a weight distributing style tow hitch in the receiver. Added to the "hard" parts, you have to throw in some common sense as well, if possible stick to side roads verses freeways (all roads here are side roads), leave plenty of stopping room between you and the car in front of you and don't forget to use extended towing mirrors so you can see behind you. Also, be sure to properly balance your load, no matter what you are using for a tow vehicle. Just for sh!ts and giggles I was looking through our owners manual for our 1998 Ford f150 supercab 4x4 with 5spd and 4.6l, turns out it's only rated for 1700 lbs towing. Yup that's a full 300lbs less than a YJ, and you see them towing all day everyday.
You will be breaking the law, but probably not as bad as the Kid texting behind the wheel or the soccer mom putting on make-up. or the fellow heading home after a few beers from the bar. Pick your poison, we all break laws to some degree.

Quote:
A 2000# tow rated hitch adds that much to the GVWR.
Um, ..... No, it just means the hitch is rated to 2000lbs, your brakes etc. still remain the same and most definitely will not stop a 4000lb trailer with no trailer brakes, not to mention keeping the front wheels on the ground.
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #14
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i tow all the time with mine. sometimes a lot of weight, sometimes just plywood. i have towed other jeeps with no issues so i think if you are careful and know how to tow, you will be ok.
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #15
b_a_mech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I tow my boat....maybe 1000 lbs....but in emergencies I've pulled car/trucks/jeeps. You find out real quick if your cooling system has any issues or your tranny needs a rebuild....just saying it can be tough on you jeep and your wallet.
BUILT NOT BOUGHT #602 / ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM #40 / USN HULL #196
b_a_mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.