inconsistent starting failure? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > inconsistent starting failure?

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #1
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

inconsistent starting failure?

Every once in a while Ill turn my jeep off, and after 30 minutes, an hour, whatever, it wont turn over. It wont click, or even attempt anything.

Ill pop the hood, switch the ignition relay with the horn relay, and every time itll start.
However, about a week ago this happened, and it still wouldnt start. The starter had gone bad. I replaced the starter with an extra I had, and its been running well, but last night I had to switch the relays to get it to start...

Does any body have a clue whats going on here? I cleaned the negative and positive terminals, as well as the wire going to the fuse box a few weeks ago.

Any help is appreciated, Im electrically clueless

Thanks for any help!

cwein23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Relays, can stick. Why not just replace the relay with a new one?
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #3
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the relays and a few fuses about two months ago, should I replace them again just to make sure its not the relays?
Unread Yesterday, 01:31 PM   #4
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How do the relays and the terminals they plug into look? Could there be corrosion or grime that's getting disturbed when you switch the relays and this is what's allowing it to start?

Also, did the Jeep do this before you replaced the relays, or did it start afterwards? If after, could be bad contacts or something in the relays that's getting jiggled into working when you switch them.
Unread Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #5
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The whole fuse box could look a little better, its dirty and removing/putting in the relays takes a little force, so there may be corrosion making the bad connection.

And the jeep was starting before. The reason I replaced them was because I was blowing fuses (short in harness going to O2 sensor, eventually blew my PCM. Bought a new PCM, fuel pump and relays/fuses at the time)
Unread Yesterday, 01:43 PM   #6
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Could be a possiblility of either one then. I think I would start by trying to clean the contacts on the fuse box. Maybe a very small flathead screwdriver so as not to deform any of the contacts, with some fine sand paper might do it? If it's still acting up, maybe try to replace the relays again. I hate throwing money/parts at a problem, but relays are cheap enough it couldn't hurt too bad, lol.
Unread Yesterday, 01:53 PM   #7
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So just poke into the fuse box with a flat head screwdriver? Is there any electrical safe cleaner I could use? How do I get the sandpaper in there safely?
Ill give it a shot, thank you! And 10 bucks for some relays is annoying but even my highschool budget can afford that much
Unread Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #8
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I should suggest a couple more specifics.....disconnect the battery first so no accidental shorts. and then be gentle when you're cleaning them. Don't want to deform anything, or knock any of the terminals loose. As far as an electrical safe cleaner, I'm really not sure on that one, but after you've lightly sanded the contacts, a light coating of dielectric grease on the relay terminals might not hurt. Getting it in there safely, I would cut the sandpaper into strips of a few inches long, fold the center over the tip of the screwdriver, and then tape the top of the strips to the screwdriver shaft to help secure it.
Unread Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #9
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, the sandpaper over the screwdriver is a good idea..
Got it, Ill give it a shot. I need a new ground terminal clamp (cracked while I was taking it off a few days ago) so Ill run to autozone and get that and some electrical grease.
Thanks.
On a side note, I bought a new fuse box (cut away from the harness) from a junk yard. If this doesnt work, should I try soldering the new fuse box in?
Unread Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #10
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's a project I've never had to tackle, so I really couldn't give any advice on that one. Let us know how everything is working out.
Unread Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #11
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up the new negative clamp, and found that the ground wire is pretty rusted. I spliced it an inch or two lower on the wire, and it was still the rusted green on the outside few wires... Could that contribute? I imagine that a few of the wires would be like that.
Ill try cleaning the fuse box now, thanks
Unread Yesterday, 04:10 PM   #12
boduke5051
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you're bumping the cable with your arm or something while you're under the hood switching the relays, I'm not sure how that would relate to how you're getting it to start. But definitely having your ground cable corroded like that will cause some issues. I would look at replacing that regardless.

And you're correct, if the ground is that bad, others could very well be having corrosion issues too. I'd do a thorough inspection of all of your heavy load wiring while you're under there. Positive battery cable, check everything connected to the starter and alternator as well.
Unread Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #13
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, will do. I wont know if it fixed it for a little while, since the failure to start is really random.

On a semi-related note, every little while I turn the jeep over and it grinds horribly. I stop turning it over, try again, and it works.
Is this a starter issue? A starter went on me a few weeks ago and I just replaced it with one that I had laying around (had the solenoid rebuilt on it).
Thanks, sorry for thread jacking my own thread lol
Unread Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #14
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the actual starter relay is on the firewall below the battery. that is the relay you need to change.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #15
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh I didnt know there was a starter relay... I switch the ignition relay (the relay in the second spot closest to the fender, if thats not the ignition relay) around.
is this the starter relay? This was all I could find under the battery
Would a bad starter relay cause the grinding on turn over?

EDIT: Oh starter relay = Solonoid? On my year jeep its mounted on the starter itself.
When I changed starters I switched the starter relay/solenoid as well, and the same issue is reoccuring thats solved when I change the ignition relay..
Is the grinding a flywheel issue? Sorry for jumping around everywhere, Im scatterbrained

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.