I'm in over my head (and need your help) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm in over my head (and need your help)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in over my head (and need your help)

Hey jeepers,

So, I decided to tangle with the computer delete today and am acutely aware that I'm up the creek.

Background: 87 with a 76 block and carb. I'm looking to clean the 30 miles of wasted copper out of the cab and engine compartment.

I've (hopefully) attached 3 images. What I have found is that half the wires from the engine side of the fuse block run back through the firewall to the computer. I have a twisted pair of orange/purple wires running from the computer to the dizzy. The dizzy has a vacuum advance.

Questions:
What do I do with the purple/orange wires to the dizzy?

Can I just cut the rope of wires from the computer?

image.jpg  
Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, if it is was a 1987-90 4.2 liter engine, then yes, after you do the Nutter Bypass you can cut the big bundle of wires going to the computer, push them through the firewall and follow them and remove them. What you got is a little different so I am not sure that answers your question.

Here is a good link on how to do the Nutter bypass on a 1987-90. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/

This might help too. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Follow the instructions for the Nutter mod. You need a twisted wire pair running from the distributor to the ICM. The other wire in the 3 wire harness from the distributor should go to a good ground, not needed by the distributor itself, it is the ground for the ICM.
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just sayin'
spagetti.jpg

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

if it was me I'd get a HEI distributor and get rid of 90% of that mess.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Don't the HEI dizzys cause issues with the hard metal gears?

Thanks for the replies the nutter link helped a lot. I cut the "computer" out last night and have laid out the wiring neatly, so I feel good about that.

There were two relays that were mounted to the battery tray support, along with all the diagnostic sockets. What are they for?
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
sardog211
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf
Don't the HEI dizzys cause issues with the hard metal gears? Thanks for the replies the nutter link helped a lot. I cut the "computer" out last night and have laid out the wiring neatly, so I feel good about that. There were two relays that were mounted to the battery tray support, along with all the diagnostic sockets. What are they for?
If you go with a Hei look into CRT been ruining one for about year now and very happy with it. I did the same thing and gutted the computer and wires under hood, all the stuff by the battery can go, just make sure you label starter relay wires, aside from that keep your oil pressure wire, temp wire, and your voltage reading stuff, basically just your instrument cluster inside. I had a mess like yours, and had to get some assistance with the starter wires.
sardog211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post

Thanks for the replies the nutter link helped a lot. I cut the "computer" out last night and have laid out the wiring neatly, so I feel good about that.

There were two relays that were mounted to the battery tray support, along with all the diagnostic sockets. What are they for?

Lots of problems with the HEI units, but for the electrically challenged, they are easy to install and wire up.
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
Lots of problems with the HEI units, but for the electrically challenged, they are easy to install and wire up.
I'm definitely electrically challenged, I've also run a HEI for over 5 years with 0 problems. only the cheap ebay junk wreck cams.
not sure what lots of problems are, please explain.

Unread 04-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
I'm definitely electrically challenged, I've also run a HEI for over 5 years with 0 problems. only the cheap ebay junk wreck cams.
not sure what lots of problems are, please explain.
Poor heatsink for the ICM leads to shortened life.

Inside the distributor is the worst location for the ICM, as no cooling air is available, and ionized air shortens component life and leads to arc-over of ignition energy.

Poor seperation of coil from grounded distributor body, causing crossfires and shorts/burn through of components.

Poor cooling of coil due to location.

None of the HEIs sold have the correct advance curve for the AMC 6 cyl engine, they are designed for the GM motor.

There is a reason the self-contained design was dropped by GM and also never adopted by other manufacturers, it is a flawed, stop-gap design.
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post

Assuming it is the same as mine, one of the relays is for the manifold heater. You want to keep that if you can. The other is (if I remember correctly) for the pulse air solenoids. You can get rid of that one.

Just from reading on the forum, the hard metal gears problem with HEI is only the cheap ones. But there isn't any good reason to replace a perfectly good working part unless you have extra money to throw around for no good reason.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Alrighty, I got in touch with Dan and should have a new dash soon. Till then, I need to get this mess in order!
image.jpg  
Unread 04-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I can only upload one at a time
image.jpg  
Unread 04-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have the part number to the DUI hei setup? It seems there are no gm 6 cyl with iron gears that I can find.
Unread 04-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

heres one on summit, lot of money when the crt hei works fine for 150 less.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/du...ions/make/jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.