I'm not new to jeeps, but lookin' at a yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm not new to jeeps, but lookin' at a yj

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

I'm not new to jeeps, but lookin' at a yj

Hey guys, I'm usually in the ZJ forum, but I figured I'd speak out here for this question.

Looking at a 1988 YJ for my wife.
It's got 119,000 on it. It's a 4.2L with a 5 speed.
The body is nice and straight, looks and sounds solid when tapping the sheet metal.
The frame is as rust free as you can find for a Maine YJ. The rear frame is solid where YJs & TJs usually have issues.
It has full hard doors and a hard top. the hard top is broken where the rear hatch supports attach.
The floor boards are starting to show a little rust inside.
It has a ton of new parts on it and it looks like the whole frame has been painted with POR 15.
The tub has been fixed in the corner behind the driver's seat. It was obviously done by a professional welder. No rookie can weld like that.
They are asking $4,200 for it. I'm thinking more along the lines of $3,500, give or take.

Anything else I should look for when I go to look at it again and test drive it?
Also, would I be insulting them to offer $3,500 or are they asking too much to begin with?

Any help will be appreciated!!! Thanks!

Unread 06-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A lot of it depends on where you are in the country. Where I live (SW Missouri), you'd have a hard time finding one in that condition for their asking price (assuming that there are no major problems that you didn't mention), but prices here are crazy. I wrecked my YJ a few years ago and i was trying to decide whether to rebuild it or just buy a TJ (I rebuilt it). If I'd gone the TJ route, I was planning on flying to Florida, buying a TJ, and driving it back. After the price of a plane ticket, hotels, and gas, I'd still have been money ahead.

As for the offer, it's just an offer. The worst they can say is "no". Most people will just say "no" to an offer that they find unacceptably low. If they throw a fit about it, you can either try a higher offer or look for another Jeep with a less emotional owner.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

are you good with carburetors and working on an older fuel system and ignition system? do you live in an emissions inspection area? if you said no to either one, you might want to look for a newer fuel injected model. especially if its for your wife to drive around in. my wife had a 93 and loved it because it never had an issue in the whole time we had owned it. this 87, she would have tried to sell it a few times already (and has tried to talk me into it a few times already too)
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Thanks guys!
Well, I'm not GREAT with carburetors, but she owns an '85 Mustang GT that's carb'd, and I've kept that running so far

She's one of those "gotta find out for yourself" people, so I can tell her anything I know and do nothing but waste my breath

After driving a ZJ for 5yrs I don't think she's gonna like the YJ at all..
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

we had a 93 or 94 zj and loved it but cristina still loved her 93 yj. those zj are dang good trucks
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

So, we went and test drove it(it was at a used car dlr) and it ran and drove perfect.
I drove it first and checked the transfer case which worked mint, though I think it may be only the 2nd time it was ever in 4LO. All was good, so I put her in the driver's seat.
My wife fell in love before she hit 3rd gear. She drove around for 1/2hr and said "I want it!!!" over and over and over.
There are a few small issues. I mentioned to them to the salesman and asked if he would take less.
He asked how much. I said $3,500. He respectfully declined and said $3,900 plus tax.
I said "I have $3,875 in my pocket. If you can do that including sales tax and all, I'll take it. Otherwise I have another Jeep I'm going to go look at."

He thought about it for a few seconds and said "Deal"!
A respectable price IMO.

Gotta go... She just told me she wants to go "Wranglin' " in it....
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Congratulations!
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks! Just put 70mi or more on it on our cruise. It ran like a top!!!
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

BTW, does anyone know how to tell what 5spd tranny it has?
Already figured it has an NP-231, a D30 up front and what I believe to be a corporate 8.25" in the rear. Not sure of gear ratio yet. Haven't got that far yet...
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
BTW, does anyone know how to tell what 5spd tranny it has?
Already figured it has an NP-231, a D30 up front and what I believe to be a corporate 8.25" in the rear. Not sure of gear ratio yet. Haven't got that far yet...
I would say there is a good chance you have the AX-15 if it is coupled to a 231. Mine was a Pukejoke BA-10/5 tranny and it had the NP207 behind it.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Someone did some work if you have a corporate in it.
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz

I would say there is a good chance you have the AX-15 if it is coupled to a 231. Mine was a Pukejoke BA-10/5 tranny and it had the NP207 behind it.
I believe it's a small amount of '88 had the 207. Mine has the 231
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
Someone did some work if you have a corporate in it.
It doesn't look like the d35s in my ZJs. Looks real similar to the axle in my XJ, which I was told was a corporate.

If you have the answer to what it is, then I'd love to hear what it is........

I can, and would, walk you through every square inch of a ZJ, but I know nothing about YJs, and I was hoping to get good advice/knowledge here. Thanks
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

It took me forever to remember my photobucket password, but I'm all set now.
Really wanted to show you my wife's "new" YJ.
His name is Steve.
He's lived in Maine all his life and has never seen a Maine winter, driven or stored, for that matter.
He was garaged for the winter!
Enjoy the pics!

Unread 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
tydp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice find

Congratulations
tydp is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.