I'm at my wits end need some ideas - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm at my wits end need some ideas

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #61
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do you notice any black smoke or smell gas when the engine bogs down?

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #62
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonAltman3 View Post
I do have the OEM style fuel filter and honestly thought that any "extra" pressure would just be returned to the tank in essence the filter itself was regulating.
I used to think the same thing - the needle valve would close (via the float) as needed and the extra fuel would go back to the tank
It didn't work that way

Oh, the carb does have a brass float, right?

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #63
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't noticed the smoke or smell... but it is plausible its there.. I have a hard top and have been testing it in the evening once I get off work.. its usually dusk.

I called and have an FPR waiting on me at the local parts store... damn those people love me !

I am also considering trying the GM style ICM or even a factory replacement just to eliminate that as a possibility.. but right now I'm tired of throwing money at the problem. I have a friend going to come over tonight and help look at it.
DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #64
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don, when you did the Nutter did you run the seperate ground for the distributor?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #65
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Update

Good evening all. I think I finally found it. After trying everything it seems lol I ran a long fuel line off a tee into the cab With my pressure guage. While driving I managed to see it drop pressure while it bucked. It got down to almost nothing several times. I think ran another fuel tank in the passenger seat and a new line going to it and tried that again. This time I had a buddy holding the line and away we went.. No problems at all my jeep has never been so strong and driven so well since I've owned the thing. i pretty much confirmed it was in the sending unit pick up tube. Weird it never ran low pressure at idle or in the driveway only while driving it. When I tested it I bypassed the filter under the hood and it ran just fine even at 8 psi without even having a return line hooked up. So.....

I dropped the tank and the sending unit looked great. I noticed the ground goes from the sender to itself. So I will be attaching another ground from the sender bolts to the frame.

What I found was a collapsed filter on the end and the thing looked like pure soot. It was hard and black pretty much 100% stopped up...not sure how it even ran honestly.

I plan to pull it off and then just bolt the sending unit back in the tank without the filter. No reason to clog that up and have to lower the tank again. Much easier to clog an external filter and change it in the future.

I am also going to be draining it all the way and wiping it out.. Of sure how a plastic 20 gallon got this crap inside it but I would imagine if the filter is clogged there is a lot of muck in the bottom of it.

I should know something tommorrow night.... Gosh I hope at was it and not just something else to throw a wrench at. At least now damn near everything bolted on this engine will be new. Thanks again for everyone's help
DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #66
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel pressure! Take a pic. I bet the ethanol is breaking the rubber. We just had a long discussion on a thread about it. Jsawduste and I have both seen the effects.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #67
42ZER0
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so what ended up being the final verdict on your yj acceleration bogging/ stalling issue? I just got a yj from someone for cheap, did the nutter then the carb, mc2100 and same issues as yours had and ive also bought almost everything under the hood at least once and did almost every test you did.. was it the sending unit filter? please please please tell me that fixed the problem lol thanks
42ZER0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.