I'm in the market for a new muffler (Super 44 or Super Turbo) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm in the market for a new muffler (Super 44 or Super Turbo)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
jeepnrover
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the market for a new muffler (Super 44 or Super Turbo)

Yesterday my rear driveshaft decided to let go, completely destroying my muffler in the process. Trying to decide between a Super Turbo from Dynomax, or a Super 44 from Flowmaster. I'm running all stock exhaust, and am hoping to just cut out the busted muffler and weld in the new one, as I need my truck back on the road ASAP. Anybody have any thoughts on which way to go?

jeepnrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just had a dynomax super turbo installed in my 4.0 TJ. it sounds only slightly louder than stock at idle.

I used 2.25" in/out.

the super 44 will probably be louder.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just ordered a cat back PaceSetter 2.5" system from Summit for $217 shipped. There is a video on youtube with a 1995 2.5L with this system on it and it sounds great. Mine will be here on Tuesday and I can't wait! My muffler has a broken baffle inside and it has a BAD rattle!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/psm-86-2872

PS: if you "have" to get one ASAP, the Jeep uses a universal size muffler, so many places will have those in stock, but not have the one of a Jeep in stock... Odd, I know, but it's true!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do NOT get the 44.
It's stupid loud and doesn't have a great tone at all behind the 4.0. It just drones and drones. Trust me it's what the PO put on mine and I hate it. I don't mind a loud, throaty exhaust, but this isn't throaty...just loud.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a super44 on my xj and its not all that loud. It sounds well almost stock at idle. My yj has a 40series on it and now that bastard is loud. Idling it sounds about as close as a I6 can get sounding like a 8. The exhaust route between the xj and yj difference has alot to do with the tone. Both still retain the 2.25" piping. I purchased them from summit racing each ran me about 90 bucks.
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
95yj0645
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just put a super 44 on my 4.6 stroker and I REALLY like how it sounds. I had a cherry bomb turbo on it and it sounded like a bumblebee now it actually has a throaty idle. Pretty tame on the highway, but less face it.. its a yj you cant get rid of road noise lol.
95yj0645 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got Borla headers to Flowmaster 44 on my 4.0. It sounds okay, but it's no v8. I keep hearing guys say theirs sound deep like a v8, but I have a big block in my truck with 3" pipes and a flowmaster and my jeep isn't close. Don't hate me, but i feel my jeep sounds like a cross between a rice-burner and a V8.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.