I'm in the market for a new muffler (Super 44 or Super Turbo) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm in the market for a new muffler (Super 44 or Super Turbo)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
jeepnrover
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the market for a new muffler (Super 44 or Super Turbo)

Yesterday my rear driveshaft decided to let go, completely destroying my muffler in the process. Trying to decide between a Super Turbo from Dynomax, or a Super 44 from Flowmaster. I'm running all stock exhaust, and am hoping to just cut out the busted muffler and weld in the new one, as I need my truck back on the road ASAP. Anybody have any thoughts on which way to go?

jeepnrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just had a dynomax super turbo installed in my 4.0 TJ. it sounds only slightly louder than stock at idle.

I used 2.25" in/out.

the super 44 will probably be louder.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just ordered a cat back PaceSetter 2.5" system from Summit for $217 shipped. There is a video on youtube with a 1995 2.5L with this system on it and it sounds great. Mine will be here on Tuesday and I can't wait! My muffler has a broken baffle inside and it has a BAD rattle!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/psm-86-2872

PS: if you "have" to get one ASAP, the Jeep uses a universal size muffler, so many places will have those in stock, but not have the one of a Jeep in stock... Odd, I know, but it's true!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do NOT get the 44.
It's stupid loud and doesn't have a great tone at all behind the 4.0. It just drones and drones. Trust me it's what the PO put on mine and I hate it. I don't mind a loud, throaty exhaust, but this isn't throaty...just loud.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a super44 on my xj and its not all that loud. It sounds well almost stock at idle. My yj has a 40series on it and now that bastard is loud. Idling it sounds about as close as a I6 can get sounding like a 8. The exhaust route between the xj and yj difference has alot to do with the tone. Both still retain the 2.25" piping. I purchased them from summit racing each ran me about 90 bucks.
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
95yj0645
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just put a super 44 on my 4.6 stroker and I REALLY like how it sounds. I had a cherry bomb turbo on it and it sounded like a bumblebee now it actually has a throaty idle. Pretty tame on the highway, but less face it.. its a yj you cant get rid of road noise lol.
95yj0645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got Borla headers to Flowmaster 44 on my 4.0. It sounds okay, but it's no v8. I keep hearing guys say theirs sound deep like a v8, but I have a big block in my truck with 3" pipes and a flowmaster and my jeep isn't close. Don't hate me, but i feel my jeep sounds like a cross between a rice-burner and a V8.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.