im holding a gun to my head - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > im holding a gun to my head

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Any connection will be put under stress when heat is applied, solder joints can be fine when cold and crap out when hot. Pick-ups like in the dizzy can break down with temp as can the cps.
I suggested a JY dizzy and cps to save valuable resources(money)

Dwayne

4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanks, i will. cold engine compression is 106, 123, 120, 126 (in order from cyl 1 thru 4)
riverhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

pretty sure i got it figured out finally but any additional insight would be greatly appreciated (i'll be installing a new o2 sensor upstream, but, i dont get why it ran good at all, its never had one since i bought it): anyway, after compression test showed 106 in no.1 and 120's in all other cylinders, i sprayed brake brake-clean at the leading edge of the head gasket (not a place i check for vac leaks) and tthe motor stalled out. looks like time to replace the head gasket.

like i said tho, any additional help or things i should check before i proceed would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

suggestions like "while you're at it, you might as well...." are what im looking for.

Last edited by riverhippy; 07-31-2011 at 05:28 PM..
Unread 07-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest that you get the head skimmed but that is all unless you wish to get it freshened while it is in the machine shop.
Congrats on locating that, I wonder why it didn't just let go all the way.
I noticed #1 was low but just put it down to old age.
Happy wrenching

Dwayne
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i sorta was too. had an errant shot of brake-clean hit right on the spot. ill take dumb luck, i never would checked there for a leak. will skimming it improve the performance at all? what will it do?
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #21
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Skimming will increase CR a little but the main point is to ensure the head is flat and the sealing surface is perfect.
Now would be a good time to de carbon the tops of the pistons, put a piston to TDC, pack the gap between the cylinder and piston with vaseline and scrape the carbon off with something like a quarter, you don't want to use a steel tool because it will scratch the piston.
Polish with a green scotch brite pad and oil. clean out the vaseline and carbon and move on to the next.

Dwayne
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #22
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I wouldn't do too much to the head unless you also do the rings with compression that low over all.

Thats pretty much the level where a full overhaul is recommended.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #23
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I wouldn't do too much to the head unless you also do the rings with compression that low over all.

Thats pretty much the level where a full overhaul is recommended.
agreed, especially with a gun, lol.
Unread 08-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #24
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Where are you at in Detroit River Hippy? 20 year GF.......damn if that Jeep is the only problem you are going to have. I think her dad might come out and help you change the tires....from underneath the wheel itself. LOL

Seriously though, you can just bypass a sensor. They all act for calibration inputs and you will cause yourself more greif than good by even trying it. Rehook everything up. Disconnect the battery to clear all the codes out that you set when disconnecting the sensors. Start it up and let it run until it happens then check your codes like MJMPC said. This is how:

http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index....k_Engine_Codes

Your symptoms seem to come down to 2 things: O2 sensor. You said you bypassed it but without it the calibration for fuel in relationship to advance can make it run lean or rich. Also check your exhaust manifold for cracks and missing bolts. again, it will through the cal for the O2 off which is primary for your fuel control. The second and the most obvious is your temp sensor that is in the front by the thermostat housing.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #25
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yea...met dad and mom. they weren't exactly hi-fiven n belly-bumpin me. lol. i just screwed up the install on the o2 sensor. it never had one before, so i don't know why it ran well for so long, but, it was cross-threaded so i tapped it with too large of a hole (its now 3/4 x 20). ill check the temp-sensor after i figure out how to unscrew myself now that i have a bigbutt hole where i should have my new o2 sensor...lol

Last edited by riverhippy; 08-03-2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: missing words
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #26
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Take it up to a muffler shop and have them weld on a new o bung. It should only cost around $25. What city are you in?
Unread 08-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #27
riverhippy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ok...since i rethreaded the o2 sensor hol with the wrong size tap...can i let the 02 sensor dangle until i get a chance to redo that big *** hole?
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:00 AM   #28
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You shouldnt. Its too easy to damage the sensor.
Unread 08-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #29
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhippy View Post
ok...since i rethreaded the o2 sensor hol with the wrong size tap...can i let the 02 sensor dangle until i get a chance to redo that big *** hole?
No. Having it hooked up and not in the exhaust stream wont do a damn thing. The o2 sensor reads the amount of oxygen in the exhaust and the computer uses this reading to tune the engine as you drive. Take it to a muffler shop and have them put a o2 bung in the exhaust.

Put a cat back on it, reconnect all your sensors, and install them properly. Then try to diagnose your problem.

BTW, we will need pics of 20yr old GF at the beach....
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #30
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

He doesnt need the cat but everything else he does. I know he's around my area and I would give him a hand if I had a general idea of where he's at.

Tags
backfiring , help please , loss of power , sputters , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.