im doing a TF999 to AW4 swap in 95 YJ. driveshaft questions.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > im doing a TF999 to AW4 swap in 95 YJ. driveshaft questions..

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
chezuschrist

im doing a TF999 to AW4 swap in 95 YJ. driveshaft questions..

my TF999 took a **** on me recently, i couldnt find another one and it was looking expensive to rebuild that one. my logic was the AW4 is 4 speed with electronic overdrive and the guy is selling it to me for 200 bucks with the TCU and wiring harness so **** it lol.

ive been looking on alot of info on the swap just couldnt find info on my questions...ive checked on stu olsons jeep but if i remember correctly it didnt mention much about that...

it was from parted out 97 cherokee 4x4 with 144,000 and im going to start the swap. i am aware the AW4 is longer than the TF999, and the TC needs to be clocked in order to fit..

now my question is since the AW4 is longer , would i be able to use the rear and/or front driveshaft from the cherokee on to my YJ? or would i need to go out and buy a custom driveshaft? the guy has both the driveshafts n i could make the purchase... just wonderin what are my options in order to get the jeep running with the front and rear driveshafts?

and just one more question.. my YJ is a column shifter and i would really like to keep it that way. ive read that it can be done and it shifts and works good but i cant find any pictures or any body explaining how to do it.. does any body know how to make the AW4 a column shifter instead of the floor shifter?

thank you guys alot man i appreciate it and i will be posting up pics soon on how i did the swap! cheers thank you! cheers

Last edited by chezuschrist; 09-29-2011 at 11:08 PM..
chezuschrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did the same swap, tf999 to aw4 this summer. I found it easier to use the xj floor shifter. Since its cable shifted you can place it anywhere you want. I also used the YJ t-case shifter. Had to cut the floor back in the jeep and make a new plate to cover the hole, but this may have been because I have a flat skid and it moved the shifter bracket up into the body causing some interference.

As for driveshafts, I had to have my Tom Wood rear shaft shortened a few inches and had to have a new front shaft made as it was quite a bit longer than the factory shaft. I also ran into a bunch of other speed bumps mostly due to me having a flat skid, and being SOA with an anti wrap bar. Also had to modify the XJ tranny mount plate that bolts to the tranny and had to cut the input shaft of the T-case as it was bottoming out on the tranny output shaft before the cases seated. Also it helps to get the XJ flex plate, CPS, and motor plates that get sandwiched between the tranny and engine.

The AW4 dip stick will work in the YJ with just a bit of tweaking. Seperate the dipstick tube prior to install, then after the AW4 is bolted up, you can tweak the tube to get it back together. Also, if you have trouble getting the tube apart, just heat the area of the dipstick tube where it slips together with a propane torch. It will start smoking as it melts the crud and the dried out oring. then gently use a pair of pliers to twist it up and out. Finally you will need the throttle valve cable from the XJ. This is absolutely required for the tranny to operate correctly. It is not a kickdown cable, but it increases line pressure under throttle which improves quickness of the shifts and the pressure to clutch packs so that they dont slip under power.

Let me know if you need anything else, I will try to help as much as I can.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Badyj7
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tf999 to aw4

How did u do the wiring for the tcu
Badyj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.