I'm back again-- Crank Position Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm back again-- Crank Position Sensor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
ALanePK
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm back again-- Crank Position Sensor

Well if you look back to around 7/4 you'll see that I was having problems where my engine would just stop running. Sometimes it would start right away some times over night. No warning. Everything pointed to the CPS. It was replaced but the engine has never run smooth. Keeps missing except when excellerating although it HAS NOT QUIT Running.
It's a 95YJ-4.0 auto. Has lot's of power. If I reinstall the faulty CPS the engine runs beautifully until it quits. There seems to be several CPS for this engine. The OEM part had #311808 (31808). According everything I can find that is a CPS for a 4.0 standard Trans. My Jeep is auto. I purchased the CPS recommended for Auto Trans. Have checked VIN #'s etc. Everything shows this YJ has always been auto. The part that replaces the OEM # also seems to have 2 ears for fastening to the bell housing. The OEM that came out and the new ones all have one on the drivers side looking forward from under.
Purchased another CPS model and mfg. Runs a little smoother but not good. Does the computer need to be reset for a new CPS installation? Any other ideas?

ALanePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I come up with a CSS611 as a NAPA part number. Not sure where you are getting yours, but this part has one mounting hole as well. My rig has only one mounting hole for the CPS. Is it possible that someone has swapped the ecm? If the ecm doesn't read the signal correct you may have issues because of that. I got an ecm from a company and it turned out to be the wrong one, Jeep wouldn't even fire.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
ALanePK
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The OEM part # was on the original CPS that I removed. It also agrees with Jeep original part numbers. The first replacement I got was from Quadratec and was the only one they offered for a 95 4.0 auto trans. Had a different for Standard. Went to Auto Part Warehouse for the second one. They offered several from different mfg's Again I selected one for for 95 4.0 Auto trans with model against my VIN code. I suppose my engine could have been swapped out from a standard trans vehicle. What I don't understand is why the engine runs smooth as silk with the old CPS but will just all of a sudden die. With either of the new CPS's it runs rough, skips, etc. But doesn't die. I'm going to check out your part number info and see what it says. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by ALanePK; 08-23-2013 at 03:55 PM..
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
ALanePK
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Checked out that NAPA Part #CSS611 also offer CSS611SB both for auto trans.YJ's. They offer PNCSS613 & SB for standard trans. That PN has the 2 bolt mounting. My original and the 2 replacements definitely match up with the single bolt mount.Still don't understand why the engine runs smooth with the old CPS but not with the new ones.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's possible that somehow the new ones aren't picking up the pulses correctly from the ring on the flexplate. Until I get to work tomorrow that's really the only thing I can think of.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.