I'm about to give up on the g/d thing!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm about to give up on the g/d thing!!!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 02-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the problem that I'm reading. You are dumping gas pass the rings. I would do a compression check or leak down on the cylinders. If you have low compression the engine will never run right.

Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
HayWrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain bud,

the guy I bought my jeep from was somewhat dishonest but such is life.....for around here I still got a fair deal.

Almost three months later I'm on the road even drove to work in it the other day after spending a couple of weeks riding around the neighborhood scared

Keep at it its worth it even with all the bloody knuckles and $100 bills out the window the jeeps alot of fun this is my first.

I will say I have great respect for those that daily drive these and dont have another vehicle.

Maybe the throttle body is bad, what about checking the timing? Keep us updated.
HayWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #18
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayWrangler View Post
I feel your pain bud,

the guy I bought my jeep from was somewhat dishonest but such is life.....for around here I still got a fair deal.

Almost three months later I'm on the road even drove to work in it the other day after spending a couple of weeks riding around the neighborhood scared

Keep at it its worth it even with all the bloody knuckles and $100 bills out the window the jeeps alot of fun this is my first.

I will say I have great respect for those that daily drive these and dont have another vehicle.

Maybe the throttle body is bad, what about checking the timing? Keep us updated.
Got my DD in July, finally on the road in November. Converted to Weber Carburetor, replaced, water pump, radiator, hoses, nutter bypass, Teamrush, now I have a broken shock mount and bad slave cylinder, but I'd never give up on it, if you are passionate, you will work hard and make sure you do it right the first time, eventually it will run like a kitty and you will have the time of your life, hang in there.
Unread 02-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
rain-gler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok here's my findings:

The injector's o-rings are bad. I saw 2 of them and the bottom one was cut. My assumption is that when I turn the key the fuel was priming and leaking past the o-ring into the intake. (this would explain the flooding)

I might have a reprieve. More money for beer instead of buying an injector. Plus I was able to knock on the starter to get it going again.

Does anyone know off hand what size o-ring I need or should I just ask at the auto parts store?

If that works, looks like I have to change the oil again. The oil pan is completely full of gas.

Well, maybe that will clean out some sludge.
rain-gler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you can buy just the orings for the injectors.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #21
SDGBASSE
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you haven't been able to start the engine, next time you try put some oil mixed with Lucas or Mistery Oil in the cylinders thru the spark plugs holes, especially if the engine hasn't been started in a while by the previous owner, I went thru almost the same thing as you and it just didn't want to start since the compression was too low because the piston rings were seized in the piston. As for the o'rings, that's what I found on RockAuto.com :GB REMANUFACTURING Part # 8005 {FUEL INJECTOR SEAL KIT; INJECTOR SEAL KIT}, should work out just fine then.
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #22
rain-gler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys.

Im running out to Azone right after watching the Las Vegas race.
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #23
TDHofstetter

What's wrong wi' you, boy? A JEEP's a-waitin'! Get them clodhoppers on & git out thar!
TDHofstetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #24
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDHofstetter View Post
What's wrong wi' you, boy? A JEEP's a-waitin'! Get them clodhoppers on & git out thar!
spoken like a true Vamonah

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #25
rain-gler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

I slapped the o-rings on and she's sealed up tight. No more leaks or squirting.

Bad news: That starter is toast. Its smoking and gurgling.

I gotta slap in a starter and change out the gas...I mean oil. (there's more gas in the oil pan than oil.)

Other than that, everything looks okie dokie (knock on wood)
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #26
TDHofstetter

Excellent! Well, pretty GOOD, anyway!

Yer nearly nearly there.
TDHofstetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #27
rain-gler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, once I get it running I can move on to the "easy" fun stuff like

-swapping in a front axle
-replacing the rear wheel brake cylinder
-new radiator
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #28
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

One thing you can rule out is the fuel pressure regulator. When the diaphragm ruptures, pressurized fuel is sucked up the vacuum line and floods the intake manifold. Check the vacuum line on your fuel pressure regulator and see if it is fuel soaked. I don't see how bad injector o-rings can cause flooding of the crankcase with gas. They seal the injector to the fuel rail on on end and to the intake on the other. If they leak,it is to atmosphere (external), they can not cause a leak across the injector. I'm not saying that they don't need replaced, just that this not likely your flooding problem. When replacing these o-rings, lube them with Vaseline, then gently rock the injector to seat it. Do not twist or rotate, as this type of motion can damage the o-ring.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #29
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When you changed from TBI toMPI you did use the MPI computer didnt you?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #30
rain-gler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

@idaholtby
The broken o ring was allowing fuel to dump past the injector into the intake when the pump primed and while cranking. After I replaced it, I had no problems whatsoever. She starts right up and sprays pretty good.

@MJMPC
I swapped a 91+ MPI engine to my 89 TBI set up. I changed in my old TBI intake manifold and kept my TBI computer, wiring and set up.

The only other things I had to do was change the alternator bracket, and the crankshaft pulley from serpentine to v-belt. And I found out the hard way that I had to keep my original flywheel (for the crankshaft sensor).

It starts right up but after a while, it starts running a bit rough. Pressure looks pretty fair.

Im going to open it up to see what it has before I do anything else to it. It might be running rich. I intend to test the O2 sensor and check the vacuum lines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.