I'll try the YJ forum - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I'll try the YJ forum

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
rugbprop

I'll try the YJ forum

I originally posted this thread in the TJ forum because I wanted to know about the TJ parts I was about to buy but I was not getting any love over there and a little abuse, so I moved this topic over here.
Here's the situation, I live in California and have to get a 1987 Wrangler smogged. The engine is pretty bad and the Jeep keeps eating clutches and starters. This Jeep had the Peugeot transmission and the whacked transfer case. So I decided to do a drivetrain swap. In California, in order to replace the engine you have to use an engine of the same year or newer (if your vehicle in newer than 1978 - I think) and have all the emmissions stuff.
So, I was originally going to swap a Ford (302) drivetrain, but a Jeep drivetrain became available. It is the chasis from a 1998 Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, don't know what transfer case, Dana 35c rear, but more importantly all of the electonics and emmissions stuff.
So me not being a Jeep guy I was asking the forum about opinions of doing that swap before I plunk down the money for the chasis. I wanted to know about parts problems or any anticipated problems of swapping that entire drivetrain.
Any help as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rugbprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
hip2Bsquare
1994 YJ Wrangler 

leave california?

j/k there's a guy here that did the same thing to his yj, but it was to get a 4.0 instead of a 2.5, soit can be done, no idea how his emissions turned out though.
Unread 08-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
intenseblu
1987 YJ Wrangler 

well your car will be ODB 2 then and emission controls should be superior to the old OBD 1 (air fuel ratio monitoring pre and after car to keep cat efficiency in check) ...

as for problems to keep an eye on ? get everything from the donor ... full engine harness, ECU, OBD2 plug from under dash with wiring... and get manuals from both years so you can crossrefrence vac diagrams for emissions and wiring...
intenseblu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As mentioned above make sure you get EVERYTHING from the donor. Once you've done the swap and everything's going, go down to a referee and get it smogged. I shouldn't be a problem.

As for hardware needed...... You may need motor mounts for the 4.0, (doesn't say in your profile) you should check with Brown Dog whose a vendor on here. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434224

You may also need a trans. skid from a YJ with the AX-15. I don't know for sure on either of those.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine.

And as far as not getting any love from the TJ guys,,,,well, welcome to the Dark Side.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
rugbprop

Thanks

Thanks, I got the frame albeit twisted and I got the engine harnesses and the ecm and everything but the cab, so I have the skid plate for the AX15. Should I try to find a Dana 44, the 35c I've got came with 3.73 gears.

Thanks again!
rugbprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know how much help the referees will be until you come in with the swap completed, but were I you, I'd definitely lock down what the legalities are before doin' the swap... The referees will obviously become involved during the process. This forum is probably not the most accurate source for this information, but it may be useful if somebody points you in the right direction... However, that being said, if you can make an appointment with a referee station and ask them those questions, that might be the very best way to go!!!
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Hackle
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did the same swap about 5 years ago on my 89 YJ. I swappped in a 98 4.0. I bought a wiring harness for it and it only came for a 95 OB1 motor. I changed all the sensors to that style as only the plug type that changed in the newer Jeeps. I installed the old style fuel rail with the preasure regulator in the rail.
It goes through emisions in AZ and I did not got to a referee. I don't think the guys at the test station even know it is a new motor. It looks like a stock wiring job. CA may be different. BTW I stayed with OB1 as the OB2 gets invovled with the comuter running all the gauges and that is a lot of work to change over. The Jeep runs great and is still the best mod I have done to date. HTH
Unread 08-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackle
I did the same swap about 5 years ago on my 89 YJ. I swappped in a 98 4.0. I bought a wiring harness for it and it only came for a 95 OB1 motor. I changed all the sensors to that style as only the plug type that changed in the newer Jeeps. I installed the old style fuel rail with the preasure regulator in the rail.
It goes through emisions in AZ and I did not got to a referee. I don't think the guys at the test station even know it is a new motor. It looks like a stock wiring job. CA may be different. BTW I stayed with OB1 as the OB2 gets invovled with the comuter running all the gauges and that is a lot of work to change over. The Jeep runs great and is still the best mod I have done to date. HTH
I've just done the same in replacing my '92 I6 with an '05 I6 and converted it to OBD1 to avoid a total re-wiring. We have similar rules up here, but it's really the proof of what comes out of your exhaust that counts - I'd do the job without any official "referees" looking over my shoulder. If we change to a non-jeep motor, we need to reclassify our vehicle as a hot-rod which just means it doesn't have an approved OEM drive train.

The newer I6 with the redesigned intake manifold is noticably more powerful.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.