ignition system trouble on 2.5 L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ignition system trouble on 2.5 L

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
cjist1

ignition system trouble on 2.5 L

Im getting this strange electrical misfire while under acceleration, usually only at RPM's higher than 2500. Its not really a misfire like when you have bad wires that are shorting out. Its more severe, like all cylinders are not firing for a split second. I have replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Coil is only 2 years old. Its like a cough or sputter. I also replaced the entire engine wiring harness because the original one was hacked up and shorting out. Im starting to suspect the computer is starting to go bad. Most of the time the speedometer does not work either. It is either on for an entire ignition cycle or off, it never stops or starts in the middle of an ignition cycle. Are these symptoms of a failing ECU?

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
cjist1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
YJ_
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjist1
Im getting this strange electrical misfire while under acceleration, usually only at RPM's higher than 2500. Its not really a misfire like when you have bad wires that are shorting out. Its more severe, like all cylinders are not firing for a split second. I have replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Coil is only 2 years old. Its like a cough or sputter. I also replaced the entire engine wiring harness because the original one was hacked up and shorting out. Im starting to suspect the computer is starting to go bad. Most of the time the speedometer does not work either. It is either on for an entire ignition cycle or off, it never stops or starts in the middle of an ignition cycle. Are these symptoms of a failing ECU?

your problems (other than the speedo) sound like a faulty ECU. When mine was on its last leg I would "sputter" while being under throttle. It usually happened on the highway past 40 mph. I don't really know any way to test the computer ( I bought one over the forums, replaced the new (to me) one with my stock one and it's been running fine ever since. This was on a 94 S.

"if ya can't duct it **** it"
[] IIIII []
YJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
cjist1

Yeah that sorta sounds like the symptoms Im having. Maybe I will try to find an ECU. Thanks.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
cjist1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.