Ignition switch wires?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition switch wires??

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
CRiNT
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ignition switch wires??

I have an 89 wrangler YJ. I gutted the harness and fuse box due to an electrical meltdown. I'm wiring in everything from scratch and and need help wiring in ignition switch. I know the green wire runs to starter. What about the yellow and red wires? And where should I put the fuse?

CRiNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Like this
42ign.jpg  
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
CRiNT
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well iv look at a few different schematics but I need one with the posts of the ignition switch so I know which color goes to which post which goes where?
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The diagram shows the ignition switch connections.

As you stated you are doing a total rewire, use whatever colors you like.

If you want a factory harness, it is WAY easier to just buy one rather than try to fab one.
Unread 08-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

luckily thieves can't read diagrams.... I hope....
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
CRiNT
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok well that is very confusing to me. If you look at the ignition switch the top right post runs to the starter. The bottom right post is a yellow wire and I don't know where to run it and the middle left post is a red wire that I'm not sure where that runs either. I'm pretty sure those are the only ones I need? Can you maybe simplify it a little for me haha.
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The diagram is only for the ignition circuits, not ACC or any other circuits.
nutter_by_pass_pre_1983_installtion.png

Unread 08-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The wire that is hot in "run" coming out of the ign switch hooks to the red wire on your ICM, and it is spliced to the red "IGN+" wire in the above diagram with an ignition resistor added in line,

The wire shown from the start relay that splices into the "Ign+" wire on the top diagram (splice it between the resistor and coil, not beyond the resistor) also ties into the white wire in the ICM.

The small diagram shows simplified wiring for the distributor to the ICM.

You only need 3 wires on your ign switch. A power feed in, a start wire out to the start relay, and a run feed out to the ICM and coil. That is the minimum to get it running.

eta: the top diagram looks looks a separate power feed for the start cycle to power the start relay and energize the start relay and coil + wire. So that would be 4 wires, not the 3 I just said.
Unread 08-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You will not be able to do this without a test light , a multi-meter would come in handy as well .
Unread 08-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

This diagram has some wire colors on it if it helps. It also shows the proper splice location for the coil power feed and the ignition resistor wire.
2010-09-01_184922_nut.gif

Unread 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
CRiNT
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm still not quite what I'm looking for. I can't test for the hot wire because nothing is hooked to power yet. I'm not sure which one of the posts is power feed and run feed out. And do I need a starter relay and ignition resistor?
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRiNT View Post
Hmm still not quite what I'm looking for. I can't test for the hot wire because nothing is hooked to power yet. I'm not sure which one of the posts is power feed and run feed out. And do I need a starter relay and ignition resistor?
Yes and no. It depends on if you just want a simple system, or one that is the same or close to a factory ignition system.

To run with the OEM ignition control module and stock coil, you have to use a resistor, else your coil will overheat and fail. You can just use a GM ICM, but that is wired different than stock. But the GM unit doesn't have a resistor in the power wire. A self contained HEI distributor would work the same way.

Without a starter relay you would need to get an ignition switch that would be compatible with just the starter solenoid.

If you have a donor vehicle, you could cobble something up, but just trying to piece something together with no clear end product in mind will prove difficult and frustrating.

The OEM system on your Jeep isn't perfect or the best, but it is well documented in the service manual and all parts are readily available, including wiring harnesses,
Unread 08-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #13
CRiNT
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ya I'm looking for a simple system. I put in a starter relay and wired in the neutral safety switch. I ran the red wire to the battery because I assume that's power feed. Green wire is run through the relay to starter. And the yellow wire must be my run feed wire. I'm gonna run it through my fuel pump relay to ground to complete circuit from battery to fuel pump. The rest of the stuff will run through the fuse box powered by the battery controlled by a kill switch. What do you think?
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #14
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Woa! Elect fuel pump? If you are running fuel injection, you need to get a harness, either Painless or from a donor vehicle. You will have yard art for months instead of a drivable jeep if you don't.

And ignore all the diagrams I posted, they are for a 6 cyl carbureted engine with the Duraspark system.
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #15
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Buy a Haynes manual or a FSM. The Haynes manual I have has detailed diagrams just like Old4X was posting. I just had to trace out my entire starting system to try and diagnose a no start issue. Last thing (will be the 1st thing next time) I checked was the Ign switch. The 12v run power had backed out of the harness. The Haynes manual helped immensely with tracing circuits. The schematics posted above are exactly what I used as I have an 89 4.2 carb'ed 3 speed auto.

Just finding a problem was a headache and I think rewiring your system from scratch will be an even bigger one. I'd bet the cost difference of buying a harness compared to fabbing one up is negligble at best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.