Ignition switch HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition switch HELP!!!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Josephrk24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ignition switch HELP!!!

I just bought this used Yj and i need to change the ignition switch key thing... But i dont know how to get the old one out... Do i need to take the column apart? Is there a special tool that i need to do it?.... Can i even do it my self?......Can someone help me.........

Josephrk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
Jeepfan Jeff
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Walk in the Park, You can do it. You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate removal tool. When you get those off you'll have to loosen the turn signal switch and pull to the side then there should be a flat spring steel clip that will pull straight up then the key cylinder will pull out. just pay attention to how the little parts come out and you wont have any problems.
weber 551-38
nutered and juiced
Ramsey Pat. 9500
(5)33x12.50x15 wildcats
eagle alloys 058
Missouri Offraod Outfitters over the top axle truss
M.O.O. rock bruiser diff cover
bushwacker cut-out flairs
shrockworks rock sliders
sorry no pics of the Schrocks & Bushies yet(but soon)

personal garb.
[URL=http://photobucket.com/albums/y81/jeepfan00/]http://photobucket.com/albums/y81/jeepfan00/[/URL]
Jeepfan Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
fastasu

Its pretty simple. Only special tool that you need is a puller to make getting the steering wheel off easier. take horn cap off and start your way in. If I can remember all you need is a phillips, 15 mm (I think) socket and wrench,and the puller. Go slow and you'll do fine.
Matt
fastasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
Josephrk24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok thank's i'll start tomorrow...
Josephrk24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.