Ignition Switch Actuator Rod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition Switch Actuator Rod

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 08-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Mistry
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ignition Switch Actuator Rod

Hello, I'm a newbie to the forum and this is my last hope, my jeep wrangler 1988 ignition switch actuator rod is not moving and need help on how to fix it. I have replaced the key locking cylinder and ignition switch module and the movement is still smooth when I turn the key locking cylinder and no start. Reaching up under the dash I can move the rod by hand only. Can not figure out how to get the lower shroud off to get to the rod and what to do next. It has a tilt steering wheel column. Can anyone help me? Thank You

Mistry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The rod has likely popped out of place either at the top or down on the switch itself.

Does the engine start and run if you move the rod by hand?

If so, the rod has popped out of the little gear in the top of the steering column.

You will have to pull the steering wheel and start taking stuff apart till you see the little cam shaped toothed gear. The rod snaps into this gear, the gear is turned by the housing holding the key lock.
Unread 09-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
Mistry
1988 YJ Wrangler 

After months of dead ends and no real help from the forum, I have figured it out. If you need help with your ignition problems call me at 925-360-3450 and I will talk you through it. I will not be on the forum. Be well
Mistry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistry View Post
After months of dead ends and no real help from the forum, I have figured it out. If you need help with your ignition problems call me at 925-360-3450 and I will talk you through it. I will not be on the forum. Be well
What the hell does this guy mean? If you don't like the forum, then just go away.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nembudonna View Post
What the hell does this guy mean? If you don't like the forum, then just go away.
He means he made one post and got a realistic response, didn't take the advice, and is now pissed. I don't know seems kinda childish, but then there seems to be a lot of that going on around here the last couple of days.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.