Ignition Switch??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition Switch???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
paintguy

Ignition Switch???

1991 4.0L Auto.

Can anybody tell me if I should attempt to replace the ignition switch, or is such a PITA that I should have a mechanic do it? I just remember taking apart the steering column to be a real PITA -- those little bolts down in there and such.
Thanks for the help/advice in advance.

paintguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a good manual to guide you, as well as a steering wheel puller (a balancer puller works as well), you should have no problem. Jeeps are easy to fix, they're just a bunch of nuts and bolts with a few wires thrown in!
EA
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
pushead

Depends. Are you talking about the key swith or the true ingintion switch under the colum? The actual key switch can be challenging. The other is a ten minute job.
Unread 08-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
paintguy

Pushead -- I was talking about the one under the column, but I now am asking myself if that one is the culprit or the key one.
One day, a few weeks ago, I got in the Jeep and tried to start her and nothing -- all lights were on and everything seemed to be working accept it wasn't starting when I turned the key all the way to the 'start' position. So, I tried to jump it at the starter terminals and it fired right up -- a buddie (mechanic) of mine said it was most likely the ignition switch. What do you think? Would the ign switch under the column cause it to be like that?
Thank you!
paintguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
MAC57
2008 JK Wrangler 

Before you tear into the column you might want to check the neutral safety switch. Do you have an auto tranny? Was it fully engaged in Park when you turned the key and it wouldn't start? Just a thought.
MAC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 12:06 AM   #6
Lager
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My 88 YJ does that all the time, but only when the steering wheel is tilted all the way up. Sort of a cheap starter kill (put the wheel up, no crank). I know the ingition switch is the problem, but this crazy problem is so damn reliable, that I'm not going to fix it unless it gets worse. If you have a tilt wheel maybe you should try to move the wheel and see if it starts.
Lager is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.