IGNITION Q's MSD +_Juicebox + Nutter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > IGNITION Q's MSD +_Juicebox + Nutter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 09-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

IGNITION Q's MSD +_Juicebox + Nutter

Hey All.. I have a question for you. I have an 88 YJ auto with a 4.2L.. I've done the mc2100 upgrade and also the Nutter conversion to my ignition.

I have a new distributor and when I put that on I installed better wires and a MSD blaster 2 ignition coil.

Well.. I just ordered most everything to do the juicebox.. The cap adaptor... cap and rotor ... (like I said my wires are already upgraded) This leads to my actual question....

Could I get away with not going to the ford style ignition box and keep using this relatively brand new MSD blaster coil? Just how much of an upgrade would I get from also swapping the coils? Would it be noticeable in your opinion? I plan to do the rest of the upgrade either way.

I really wish I would have known about this earlier.. the price I paid for the blaster coil would have probably paid for the complete juicebox conversion.
about 50 bucks if I remember right.

DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You dont need the ignition box if you already have the MSD. They are both doing the same thing by upping the voltage to your distributor.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you are using the jeep-style distributor (with the cap/rotor upgrade)...then you need to still run the ICM. If it's an HEI style distributor, then you don't.

Yes, you can run an upgraded coil w/ the jeep-style distributor....I'm using an Accel hi-perf coil (square) mounted to the firewall. Works great & plugs are gapped to .040.
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I reread his post Beachcruiser. I had just assumed that it was a HEI but he doesn't say that. Good catch! Are you buying a HEI?
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have done the nutter bypass.. I am currently using a MSD can style coil and the regular jeep cap rotor.. My ICM is no longer being used.. KLinda confused me beach ?!?!?

I am going to put on the ford style cap adaptor, cap and rotor button.. but my question is since I kinda upgraded the coil already with the MSD BLASTER 2 can style coil...
Should/would the ford TFI coil be a considerable/noticeable upgrade ?

or worded another way...

How comparable is the msd blaster 2 to a stock ford TFI coil.
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The MSD is a 5/10K difference in voltage. They both are increasing the gap and making a hotter spark. I think the OEM testing is much more stringent so reliability on the ford is probably better but subjective. MSD reputation is good. Performance differences will be negligable.
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

oh.. great news then.. I wont have to worry about getting another coil.. so upgrading my jeep ignition system wont cost much money at all..

I think for the few dollars it costs everyone should probably switch over to the larger style ford distributor cap and button.

Thanks for the help.

I found an amazing write up for doing this procedure if anyone is interested in seeing it with pictures/part numbers and easy to follow instructions.

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/engine/16...n-upgrade.html
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Search for the team rush upgrade. It should be linked in the faq.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.