ignition lock-how do I fix it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ignition lock-how do I fix it?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ignition lock-how do I fix it?

Hey there, I noticed the other day that my key won't turn too the locked position, so essentially anyone could just get in and turn the engine over with no key. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

[COLOR="Navy"]US Navy Jeep Club Hull# 231[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Maritime Offroading Club[/COLOR]
killakeane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The lock cylinder turns a gear which moves little rack and pinion type set up. That in turn slides a rod up and down that operates the actual ingition switch.

Could be the geared rack is broken or out of place. Fairly common.

Or, maybe the switch has come loose or moved. You can get to that from under the dash near the base of the column.

Or, maybe it's just gunked up with dirt.

You will have to take it apart to find out.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you, I've got a pretty big weekend planned working on the jeep so ill see if i can fit that in somewhere - the horn was also rerouted by a previous owner to a button under the dash rather than in the wheel so i was planning on opening that all up at some point too fix that so while i have it all taken apart ill try and check out what the issue is.
killakeane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
help needed , ignition , keyless entry , lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.