Ignition issues-Firing early/late? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition issues-Firing early/late?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 02-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Ignition issues-Firing early/late?

I am stumped on this one. I have had some ignition issues I have been chasing for a while now. I changed out my cap and rotor and here we are.. It seems as if the timing is way off, I have scorch marks everywhere inside the cap as if it's being fired between the posts as well.. Anyone run across this before or know what I should look for now? No codes being thrown other than 12 33 55. Takes a few revolutions before she fires up.
95 with 4.0 and auto.

0224141535.jpg   0224141535a.jpg   0224141536.jpg  
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Nobody has seen this before? I even asked my uncle who had been a mechanic for a great many years, and he was stumped at what he saw. Is it possible that the distributor is out of time? The Jeep has always started and run, well enough, since I have owned it.
Unread 02-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

XJ what ignition issues do you have? What driving symptoms do you have and what have you tested and done so far?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

I did a tune up about 8 months ago, after a while the Jeep started taking more than a couple cranks to fire. Used to fire right up as soon as I hit the key. Then performance started going downhill. Poor fuel mileage, lack of power when hitting the go pedal. I had chalked it up to the cracked exhaust manifold and an O2 sensor..but then I decided it was time for another tune up and discovered this. Along with bright red spark plug electrodes.
Unread 02-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

When I did the tune up this time around I found that my ignition coil was cracked and swollen so I replaced that as well. When I did the last tune up I had used double platinum plugs, this time around I went back to copper plugs, so far it seems to like this set up better, but I am not sure if this is just a band aid to an underlying issue that I am missing.
Unread 02-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The arcing can't happen unless there is continuity. I think the cap isn't telling you that you have a problem but if you want to stop arc over use some finger nail polish. Coat the rotor up to the very end so just the flat part is exposed. You usually only get arc over from water in the cap.
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Okay, thanks Que
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is that metal shavings on the rotor contact for the cap? You definitely need to clean the contact surfaces.
Unread 02-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

It's scorched, I just put new cap and rotor on. I had a couple people tell me that because I was running platinum plugs and now knowing that I had a weak coil, the plugs wanted more juice than the coil could put out. This apparently had the coil trying to "catch up". Not really sure if that's true or not but time shall tell. I am going to keep an eye on the new cap and see what happens in the next few weeks. Right now I have to replace the ECM so just one more thing to deal with.
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why do you need to replace the ecm?
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

When I originally purchased the Jeep the P.O. had replaced the ecm with one from a Cherokee, because they're all the same he said. I had issues with the alternator overcharging and after having it all checked out the ecm wasn't regulating like it should have been. I then went on an internet search and finally found the ecm I needed, and this darn rig takes a very hard to find ecm. After fighting with that company for two months and finally getting my lost ecm I decided I would never deal with them again. Now I am having alternator issues again and it traces back to a faulty ecm. This time I went to the dealer and got one...barely.
Before I replaced the Cherokee ECM the YJ would fire on the first crank every time. After replacement it would take a couple revolutions to fire, I just chalked it up to the ecm needing to learn the sensors.. I took it to a reputable shop that I go to when I am completely stumped on something, and they questioned whether the ecm I had purchased had been faulty from the start.
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I actually agree. The alternator field control almost never goes bad. If you are up for troubleshooting I might be able to help.
Unread 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Sure, I would love your help Que. I have the electrical FSM downloaded on my computer here at work. What should I start with?
I should mention that I recently replaced my alternator with a 136 amp alternator. Don't know if that would make a difference or not but since I have an Optima battery and a winch I wanted to make sure I had enough juice.
Unread 02-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't change a thing as far as control. First thing does it start and run?
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #15
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

It does fire and run, albeit it takes a couple of cranks to get going. Fuel mileage is horrible as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.