ignition issue help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ignition issue help!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 06-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ignition issue help!

so i got a 92 wrangler with a 6 cylinder. i got a car jumper hooked up to the battery and when i go to start it the thing clicks like a fiend. when i let off the key but leave it on, i hear a humming coming from the steering column and a buzzing coming from a square, either fuse or sensor, not sure which. are those what could be causing her not turning over?

jeep795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Nuthin
Curses! Foiled again!!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked your battery cables to make sure the connections are clean, uncorroded and all the cables are intact? That sort of clicking generally indicates either a dead battery or bad cables/connections. I would imagine the buzzing and humming are likely seatbelt/door alarms since I doubt you're belted in when you do this and it seems likely the door is also open.
--You're doing it wrong. - Cause --I don't care. At least I'm doing it. - AKABOB
"The minute you hear ‘freedom’ and ‘democracy’, watch out…because in a truly free nation, no one has to tell you you’re free.” Jacque Fresco

Tread Lightly - Stay the Trail
Wardrobe by Levi, makeup by Chance, hairstyle by Wrangler
Nuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well that's the thing i don't even have seatbelts in the jeep yet and no doors. but anyway i through the battery on the charger for a few hours and the jeep started right up. i replaced the starter this morning anyway. but i'm getting this whining/ whistling noise from the engine, when i hit the gas it sounds like someone blowing a whistle from soft to loud.
Unread 06-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

hmmm, could be the starter relay is going bad.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

any ideas on the whisteling?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.