Ignition I think? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition I think?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-28-2002, 05:10 PM   #1
dcbeer

Ignition I think?

Hope someone can help? My 88 4.2 started running like S#*T shortly after I bought it started with the vac. lines (lot of them). Did not find any leaks or improve the situation. Would still die at every stop. Cleaned out the idel tubes worked for a weak. Well did the nutter bypass life was good again except was running rich. Kind of expected that. ordered a weber carb, put it on and it ran great except for the 8 mpg. In my planning when I did the bypass I ran new wire from the controll to the dist. and put terminals so it could be easily reversed, which I did today. so after putting all the hoses and and what not back on I went to change the wires over and found that the purple wire had pulled apart at the dist. It ran this way, had good power but I am suspecting this was the cause of my poor mpg. Does any have any ideas before I bypass again as it is running like before I pulled everything off the first time. Also what does the purple wire control.

Unread 03-29-2002, 01:05 PM   #2
dcbeer

Well did the bypass again today made sure all wires that were spliced were secure>> This time when I set the timming I set it at 8 deg. (BTDC). Before I was not sure if the timing was set at 900 RPM or 1600 that the info under the hood states. Well anyway at 900 RPM and 8 deg. (BTDC) it ran good, so I assume it is ok now. Still trying to find out what the violet wire from the dist. to the computer does. Also will have to wait and see if my mpg gets any better than 8.

Not that it matters all that much but was wondering what kind of milage I can expect out of a 4.2L
Unread 03-29-2002, 02:08 PM   #3
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

After driving 200 miles on a fillup, I'm seriously looking for a gas station. That averages to around 15-16 mpg.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2002, 03:09 PM   #4
dcbeer

I can live with that. Sure would beat 8 I was getting.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.