Ignition control module - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition control module

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ignition control module

Think my icm is going south, starts, idles & runs for a little while, then stutters and dies. Won't start again till it cools down. I searched the forum and found several post about using an icm from an early 80's ford. My question is about the plugs, do I need to cut the plug off the old icm and splice it to the new one? Any thing else I should know? Thanks!

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look at the team rush and nuttering it. Get rid of the ICM and the vacuum stuff for the pollution controls all together.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, thought i had updated my profile,(Its been fixed), Its been nuttered and rushed. I did the team rush mod about 2 weeks before the trouble began, I kind of wondered if maybe all the new ignition parts put too much strain on the old icm but I don't really know how all that works. I have gotten rid of the vac stuff except the dist advance and egr.
How do you go about cutting out the icm without going to an hei system?

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Look at the team rush and nuttering it. Get rid of the ICM and the vacuum stuff for the pollution controls all together.
You have to keep the ICM, it is the ECM tht you can toss.
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Or, go with an HEI and toss everything else.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is exactly it. Go to the HEI.

Last edited by Que89YJ; 07-30-2010 at 09:08 AM..
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I parsonally would not go hei as you have a good system as is you just need a quality module (Motorcraft) you can use one for an 86 ford bronco with a 351 in it swap the connectors it will work perfect. I have one that I was about to put on ebay for $20 but it is a parts store brand one and run for about 5000 miles if you want it.
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The ground for your entire ignition system is under the cap on your distributor. Have you checked and tightened it? (it is the gold screw holding the wiring harness to the pickup in place).

Next, add a dedicated ground wire from the distributor to a known good ground to the battery.

These Jeeps are 20 years old or so, grounds do corrode and work loose.
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, yeah for now I would just assume stick with the system I've got since I just did the team rush & upgraded the coil.
Greyarea, I appreciate the offer but I think I've got a motorcraft here local that I can get pretty cheap.
Old4x, Thanks for the tip about the ground, never even thought about it but I'll add it as well
Thanks again

Unread 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Put an old motorcraft icm on, the difference is amazing

Unread 08-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
JPRatYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i just got a brand new one with a lift time warrenty for 80 bucks now she starts like a dream EVERY TIME and i know im covered if it ever goes out again
JPRatYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, new probably is the way to go I just wanted to know it'd make a difference before I spent any $$$$ & the old one was free, did you buy one made for a jeep or go with the one for the early 80's ford?

Unread 08-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
JPRatYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i went with one that was made for the jeep it was only 80 bucks with a lift time replacement....
JPRatYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.