Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

If you had 3k to spend....

2K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  1993sahara 
#1 ·
Okay i have a 1993 sahara, no lift with 31's. not sure how soon but i may be getting 3k to invest into my jeep to make it more "up to date".. just looking for ideas as to what to do?? the suspension has been narrowed down to two options either old man emu 2.5 or bds 2in. i just wanna fit 32's. also figured on a slip yoke eliminater and a cv shaft. just looking for other things that would make if more comfortable to take on longer trips and not have to worry if some 18 year old part is gonna break on me. maybe some ideas to upgrade steering parts or bushings, axles, any idea is welcome.. thanks guys:cheers2:

#27 ·
Definitely go higher if you want to get the full benefit from the SYE and CV driveshaft.
That being said, unless you are getting the SYE so you can remove the driveshaft in the event of breakage and operate in FWD, I would save the money and apply it elsewhere, as a 2-2.5" lift won't require one.
its pointless to do an SYE if you are going to do a 2.5" lift,
what you all are not understanding is that an sye and its benefits are independent of lift height. getting the "full benefit" has nothing to do with how arched your springs are. the benefits of an sye are still present whether you are 8" higher or driving a lowrider. i personally wont wheel a jeep without one regardless of how the suspension is set-up. an sye is a mandatory.

...looking for other things that would make it more comfortable to take on longer trips ...
this here is the best advice so far.

Nice Springs
Greaseable bushings
Nice seats (suspension seats)
A/T tires
cant say enough about good seats. go out and find a really good set of seats.

ive built exactly what you are considering. with this jeep (not mine) i went with 32" bfgs and used 3.5" BDS springs. after doing so i wish i had gone with the 2/2.5" versions. i broke my "no spring arched over 2.5" rule. it sits needlessly too high and rides like the suspension is welded to the frame. most of this i can fix as it has little to do with the springs themselves. im certain they are a fine product. but the springs dont need to be arched that high and in the end ride quality will suffer. the sye as stated earlier was mandatory, and the jeep is seeing the full benefit of having it. you dont really need to buy your suspension in kit form. i never do. most of the time the kit contains things you dont need like bumpstops and trackbar relocators, and doesnt contain the things you do need, such as extended lines, shocks (worthwhile ones), and shock mounts that actually work.

greaseable bushings are nice but if you dont torque the hardware to factory specs they will be useless as the sleeve will rotate on the bolt and misalign the holes that feed the grease.

#4 ·
jeepinvader said:
I would suggest a winch, but I'm guessing it won't be taken off road very much. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes the jeep will be taken off road. I've had for over three years now and offroading/mudding used to be an every sunday event.

I have thought of that kit as well but it's going to be one of this two company's

#5 ·
Definitely go higher if you want to get the full benefit from the SYE and CV driveshaft. In your description, this jeep sounds more like a daily driver? If so, maybe re-gear to get better gas mileage at highway speeds. I know it shouldn't break with just 32's but you could consider swapping the rear axle out for an explorer 8.8. It'll get you disk brakes all the way around and more reliability.

#6 ·
Don't go that crazy with the 3000 bucks. You can cut the wheel wells open and put new flares in to give you some needed clearance.The other thing is redo the swaybar bushings, tie rod ends,ball joints. I used lift shackles in mine and I'm running 33's .You might even want to regear the axles with going with the bigger tires.

#7 ·
I would do an Axle swap also.

#9 ·
The jeep is my DD. Soa with stock leafs isn't gonna happen cus my leafs are shot, fronts have negative arch right now. I thought about the 8.8 swap just would also have to rehear the front or find one already done. Maybe have alittle more then 3k to spend as well.

#12 ·
Front locker.... You will go places you didn't think were possible.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#14 ·
Honestly, you're eating through that 3k pretty quick. BDS will run you around $600 if you piece it together.

$2400 left. 32" tires will run you around another $600 (depends on brand and I presume you'll get 5 and I also figure your rims will work...)

1800 left. YSE - $300. (though I dont think youll need one with just a 2" lift).

1500 left. An 8.8 rear (built to spec, ready to put in): ~$900 delivered.

~600 left to spend. New R&P for the front: $150 (presuming you do the install yourself)

~$450 left. $450 doesnt go a long way...just enough for a winch, but you need a winch bumper / plate.... so... yeah...

#17 ·
x2 minus the 30 spline, the 27 spline d30 is a more then capable axle by itself. If your running the turdy-5 i would suggest doing an 8.8 swap. find a 8.8 with LSD and 4.10's, and if your d30 is not 4.10 just find a HPD30 out of a 2.5L and swap it in(finding a new axle assmebly with 4.10s is much cheaper than regearing the axle), throw a locker in the front and wabam you have yourself a VERY capable weekend wheeling vehicle.

its pointless to do an SYE if you are going to do a 2.5" lift, most 2.5 kits come with a t-case drop (you can go SYE if you dont wanna drop the t-case and lose some ground clearance, its just more money). 2.5 will allow you to run 32's no problem if you trim the fenders you will get decent flex room too

however if you have not already skidded it out and put some rocker guards on, i would suggest that be your first route

#16 ·
jhumphrey took the words right out of my mouth except for a couple more points. I've heard BDS makes a good product, but I don't think you can go wrong with an OME or Rubicon Express kit of similar height (you'll save some money in the process). That being said, unless you are getting the SYE so you can remove the driveshaft in the event of breakage and operate in FWD, I would save the money and apply it elsewhere, as a 2-2.5" lift won't require one.
That saves you enough money (approx. $800) that I would spend on a recovery bumper/tire carrier for the rear. That will give you recovery points on the rear of the jeep and take the stress of that largish spare off of the tailgate. I've had a 33" tire hanging from mine for a few years now and its starting cause some sheetmetal tearing, so this would be a good investment for the day to day longevity of the jeep as well as improving off-road performance.

#18 ·
My main reason for wanting a sye is because I've had so many rear driveshaft issues and vibrations with the stock setup and I want to rid myself of it. The 8.8 with 4.10s and a d30 with 4.10s I think is where I'm gonna start

#19 ·
Can anyone tell me what years and sub model explorer I need to be looking for to get 4.10 gears and a LSD? The d30 should be easy to find for me, I have a jeep junkyard about 5 min from my house

#22 ·
I believe that 1998-2000ish has the rear end that you need. Some junk yards will charge a premium if it comes off a 4wd explorer, which is rubbish. They 8.8's are the same.

#20 ·
If it was me go with

4" RC lift - $450
used 33's off of craigslist - $400
4.88 gears - $400
front locker!!! - $300
maybe some bumpers with a winch - $???

i mean 3k is a lot of money i can strecth that into a whole other jeep ahaha i wheel and deal stuff on craigslist all day long.....its pretty much my primary job.

Zak

#23 ·
ME:

$550 = 2.5 OME HD 36r springs (3" lift), bushings, bolts
$120 = Skyjacker scratch & dent shocks
$350 = SYE
$1100 = 33's & wheels with proper backspace
$80 = Bump stops
$250 = Front Locker

The remaining 550 I would save for repair, misc hardware, fluids, extras, or choose a winch, ford 8.8, regear, lights, body armor, TJ front axles, etc...

#24 ·
I would spend 1000
HF Winch,
33" Used MT tires
3" Leaf Springs.

I would use the other 2k and buy gold & storage food before the S**T hits the fan. It's getting bad out there.

#25 ·
Alabamaranger said:
I would spend 1000
HF Winch,
33" Used MT tires
3" Leaf Springs.

I would use the other 2k and buy gold & storage food before the S**T hits the fan. It's getting bad out there.
That'll only get me a ounce of gold though. But times are bad

#26 ·
Better yet - AK, Ammo, Food and water. Those you can put in your Jeep with the HF winch, offroad tires and lift in case you live in the City (Bug Out).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.